• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

HAM

Akiko

So.... I had the insane desire to roast a ham (gammon for all you englishmen and women out there... I know, I almost cried at the butcher's because I was so frustrated in trying to get them to give me what I was asking for... no not cured ham slices, no.. not ham hocks...)

And I asked for a five or six pound bone in ham... and they didn't have a bone in ham, but I bought the six pounder anyways without thinking just how much meat that was going to provide our two person household with...

So on evening one we roasted the ham with a brown sugar, dijon mustard crust, garlic, and basted with maple syrup... roasted potatoes on the side

On evening two I braised the ham in coca cola, coated it with a breadcrumb, brown sugar, mustard powder, and garlic crumb coating and broiled it to turn the outside crusty... ate that with salad

On evening three we had black bean soup with ham sandwiches..

I'm just about hammed out and we have at least two more nights of eating this stuff... any creative suggestions????

How about taking some slices of ham and tearing them up unevenly. Crisp them with some panchetta, garlic, and caramelized onion. Make a sauce of pureed toasted ancho chiles with balsamic vinegar. Make some ziti with a butter sauce. Plate the ziti. Put some of the ham and panchetta atop. Nap with the ancho balsamico sauce. Twist of pepper, some roughly chopped parsley.

Have with leftover black bean soup with a dollop of creme fraiche or sour cream.

Hache half an avocado and dust lightly with chipotle powder and a spritz of lime.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Tinned Chick peas

Chopped tomatoes

Quatered small lemon

Cloves of of garlic cut into slivers

Chunks of Ham

Lots of Olive Oil

Lots of fresh parsley ( thrown in at the end )

I chopped chilli

Salt & Pepper

Braise the whole lot in the oven for 15 minutes.

Great supper ( have bread with if you must )

Also good with left over chorizo

S

Sautee fennel with celery and white onion. Add rougly chopped ham. Let cool. Stuff manicotti with mixture. Dip in flor, egg, bread crumbs. Deep fry. Have with mint and pea soup. Salad of romaine and pecorino.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Ham bibimbap. With eggs.

Heat some cabbage kimchee. Add roughly chopped ham to equal measure. Boil udon. Pour cooking water over some spinach. Toss udon and spinach with kimchee and ham. Spribkle with gomasio. Much sake.

Croque monsieur with tomato consomme.

Scalloped potatoes with ham layered within, topped with gruyere. Sauteed asparagus with lemon. Wild mushroom soup.

Jinmyo you are amazing :wub:

I'm actually excited to go home now and play with my ham! 

Jin does seem to have that effect on some folks. :shock:

Blanch asparagus, steam a tortilla soft, wrap slice of ham, slice of cheddar and asparagus in tortilla, roll tightly, bake until cheese melts, serve with dijon dipping sauce of equal parts homemade mayo (or Dukes) and dijon mustard.