• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cologne/ Koln: assistance appreciated

TGullet

The best:

- Restaurant Vendôme in Bergisch-Gladbach (about 20mins from Cologne), modern three star with Germany's best chef these days, Joachim Wissler. Outstanding! A review from Nov is up on my blog.

- Restaurant Dieter Müller, also in Bergisch-Gladbach, where Nils Henkel is gradually modernizing Dieter Müller's cuisine. Solid three star. Excellent!

- Le Moissonier in Cologne. Frnch bistro style, very unique and interesting cuisine where a dish is served with many elements all having a certain function. Clever and good price/value, two star.

Local places: check out the traditional Kölsch (the local beer) breweries which serve rustic and local specialties - Früh in the city centre would be an example.

I know you are asking about restaurants - but while in Cologne - you need to visit the fabulous patisseries/chocolate shops of eG's on Schneich. They are called Tortschen-torstchen - I believe he has three now. Here is a link to his website

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

• 3 weeks later...
I know you are asking about restaurants - but while in Cologne - you need to visit the fabulous patisseries/chocolate shops of eG's on Schneich.  They are called Tortschen-torstchen - I believe he has three now.  Here is a link to his website

If anyone tries to look this up, I suggest the spelling "Törtchen Törtchen".

Charles Milton Ling

Vienna, Austria

• 2 weeks later...

Goulash (and only goulash) and Koelsch (no better combination on a cold day): Puszta Huette, just off Neumarkt.

Flammekuchen and Koelsch, sat outside overlooking the Rhine (nothing better on a hot summers evening): StaeV

A Brauhaus outside the centre (good food, good and friendly service): Brauhaus Goldener Pflug - easily reachable by tram line 1 (stop: Merheim).

A Brauhaus in the Altstadt (serves Paeffgen Koelsch for those who like a slightly stronger taste): Brauhaus en d'r Salzgass

Would appreciate assistance with restaurants from the simple or local places, to the area specialty foods, or the very best in the area.  Thank you in advance.

Try Peters Brauhaus (in the Altstadt) - which is a traditional "tavern". Good Kolsch and seemed to have all the staples of cuisine from this part of Germany on the menu. We enjoyed it.