• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

cheese caviar - sodium alginate

gfron1

I found a recipe on the web which I have since lost. My notes say:

175 g Gruyere

45 g Maytag Blue

200 g Water

5 g Milk Powder

Blend ingredients. Drop into bath of

1000 g Water

5 g Sodium alginate

When I went to make them I wondered where the calcium chloride/lactate was in the recipe? But I did a test run anyway and got white slime in my bath.

Has anyone made this before that can correct my recipe?

That's been on my "to try" list for a while now. You've got the recipe right. Here's the link: Flatbottomed Pearls.

I'll try to give it a whirl and let you know if it works for me.

Just a thought.... maybe try it again with the calcium gluconate. Maybe your milk powder doesn't have enough free calcium to drive the reaction forward?

Edited by isomer (log)

thanks for finding that link for me again. I did sub (morbier & gorganzola) my cheeses, but have both from the original recipe, so I'll give it another go as well.

Edited by gfron1 (log)

Rob, there's no reason you can't supplement the calcium in the base if necessary. I know the recipe doesn't call for it but it won't hurt anything. I don't advise using calcium chloride as the supplement but boosting the calcium with something that doesn't alter the taste should be fine.

Edit: I wonder if replacing the water with milk, maybe even one of the calcium supplemented milks available, would work?

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.