• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Louisiana Cookin' Magazine e-letters

Toliver

I thought I would post this in case anyone is interested...

I subscribed to "Louisiana Cookin'" magazine and have been getting a weekly email newletter from them. Here's their online web site if you're interested:

Louisiana Cookin' Magazine

They've launched a new email newsletter called "Louisiana Menu" which will feature recipes from Louisiana restaurants using Louisiana ingredients (the site is, of course, sponsored by Louisiana companies/organizations promoting Louisiana products).

Louisiana Menu

The first menu is from Dickie Brennan and has PDF files that you can download containing recipes for his Crabmeat Cheesecake, House Filet (okay, it's just a steak but has a recipe for their rub) and Frozen Bourbon Milk Punch.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

It's looks like they're starting out with the heavy hitters...

Week #2's recipes come from none other than John Folse:

Cajun Catfish Beignets

Pan-sautéed Filet of Trout Niçoise

Ruston Peach Cobbler

The "Louisiana Menu" link in my first post will take you to John Folse's recipes. Apparently, the recipes are replaced by the following week's recipes so get 'em while you can.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 5 months later...

I am going to have to check this magazine out. I live in Louisiana and have never heard of it. Almost any of Chef Folse's recipes are great. He lives here in town. I have met him quite a few times and eaten his food for years. I buy most of my seafood from his family. What I love about his recipes is that here the average kitchen has almost every ingredient. His Shrimp Creole recipe is a staple in our house.

BTW, if a recipe gets replaced and you can't find it, let me know. I probably already have it or can find it here locally for you. I'll even ask Chef when I run into him.

Edited by Steven Murphy (log)

I've seen the magazine around New Orleans a few times - it's a pretty good publication, if a bit thin. I'll have to subscribe to the e-newsletter and see what's what.

Anyone tried making these recipes yet? With pictures? I'm curious!