• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crisp banana chips

paulraphael

Remember to dip them in lemon water before putting them in the oven or they'll turn brown as they oxidize.

For temperature, I would go low and slow, probably around 175 degrees, to keep the sugar from caramelizing.

Theresa :biggrin:

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."

- Abraham Lincoln

I wonder if you should try sprinkling them with icing sugar after dipping them in lemon juice. I've never tried it with bananas, but for making apple chips in the oven, sprinkling them evenly with icing sugar always made a crisper chip.

When I've made banana chips in my dehydrator, I dip them in a 1:1 honey:water syrup before dehydrating. Of course, I also find that they're still a little chewy even after 12 hours at 135F. They're not really the same thing as commercial banana chips, though they're still terribly addictive!

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

how we do them at work

cut a tiny bit of the banana off (skin on just not through to the banana its self)

slice then and lay on a slipat, some times we dust with icing sugar, but this caramelise`s slightly, stick them in the oven at 97ºC and they be nice and dry.

i cook, i sleep, i ride.

Ok, did some tests:

1) low temp dehydrate: leathery

2) high temp broil: uneven browning

3) #1 followed by #2: bingo

I sliced the bananas thin, using a very sharp knife, so there was no need for lemon juice to keep them from oxidizing. put them on a buttered sheet of parchment on a sheet pan in a 175 degree oven. They dehydrated in about 30 minutes.

I then brushed with a honey/water syrup on both sides and slid under the broiler (sheet pan, no parchment). They browned and crisped nicely. I had to keep a close watch; some went faster than others. Next batch i'm going to flip them to make sure they get hit evenly on both sides.

I also tried browning some of the dehydrated chips with a torch. The broiler's easier (I used the broiler in a convection/toaster oven ... much more even than the broiler in my cheap gas oven).

Notes from the underbelly