• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Goldfish

snowangel

I have long been a fan of Parmesan Goldfish.

But, today, at Target, I spotted "made with hol Grain" in a Toasted Corn flavour (not featured on their website.

What do the rest of you think of Goldfish? Those overly salty Flavour Blasted flavours need not apply, at least to me.

This new Toasted Corn flavour seems much less salty, which greatly appeals to me.

So, if you like Goldfish, are they for breakfast; right out of the bag, or in place of saltimes?

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

You Philistine! :raz: Goldfish are STRICTLY for swimming in tomato soup. EVERYBODY knows that.

:biggrin:

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

Directions for eating Parmesan Goldfish:

1. Open bag.

2. Spill bag contents into open mouth.

3. Chew.

4. Repeat as often as necessary.

:raz:

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

Goldfish = gateway drug.

I was on a road trip with some friends last summer when we stopped at a truck stop. My friends went in with instructions to buy goldfish for me. They're great road snacks. The store didn't have goldfish, so my friends came back with Cheezits.

I live in Canada. I can't get Cheez-its. It's taken months to get over the cravings for Cheez-its. :blink:

But I still love Goldfish! :laugh:

I haven't tried the parmesan ones yet, but I see that happening soon.

Goldfish = gateway drug.

You've got that right. Goldfish are a dime bag of Wowie Maui and Cheezits are lumps of crack in a pipe. I hang my head in shame and admit to raiding the box of Cheezits in the desk drawer of an absent workmate. I felt cheap and, well thrilled.

But Cheezits aren't as cute as Goldfish and no way close to being an adorable crouton floating on the soupy waves.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Both Cheez-its and Goldfish contain real cheese. I'm not saying it's great cheese, but it's not lactic or malic acid in masquerade.

I'm not sure you can actually taste the genuine cheese, but just knowing it's in there makes it OK to eat large quantities.

Toast them in a pan to make them a bit more crunchy. Consume with beer.

Grind them up, mix with some Old Bay, and fry some oysters. Who knows?

Edited by Batard (log)

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

I've no knowledge of Cheezits, but Goldfish are in heavy rotation at my house. The most popular ones are the rainbow kind.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Both Cheez-its and Goldfish contain real cheese. I'm not saying it's great cheese, but it's not lactic or malic acid in masquerade.

I'm not sure you can actually taste the genuine cheese, but just knowing it's in there makes it OK to eat large quantities.

Toast them in a pan to make them a bit more crunchy. Consume with beer.

Grind them up, mix with some Old Bay, and fry some oysters. Who knows?

Ooh lala, goldfish cookery, now that's what I like!!

I wonder about a deep-fried mushroom coating?

What's the verdict on whole wheat, does knowing that that's in there make it even better to eat in large quantities?

Mmmm, goldfish.

Place one in the mouth, line the seam up between the upper and lower teeth, bite down until it cracks in half.

2 thin goldfish shells = more air = more flavor. :biggrin:

Cheez-its.

My favorite thing is to make a tuna or chicken salad, then eat it using cheez-its as a scoop.

Mmmm, goldfish.

Place one in the mouth, line the seam up between the upper and lower teeth, bite down until it cracks in half.

2 thin goldfish shells = more air = more flavor.  :biggrin:

Cheez-its.

My favorite thing is to make a tuna or chicken salad, then eat it using cheez-its as a scoop.

This place is like a support group. I thought I was the only one who did the seam-splitting thing! I also do it with smoked almonds. Thank you for making me feel like less of an oddball...

Edited by patris (log)

Patty

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

my favorite variety of goldfish is, always has been and I am thinking it will always be (unless they come out with some new variety that moves my current favorite down the list...however I am doubting that will happen because of all the new varieties introduced over the years....never once has any come close to....DRUM ROLE PLEASE...) Parmesan cheese goldfish (easily spotted on shelves as the green (and white, of course) variety. Mm....always been a fav.

In terms of cheese-its...(because some have commented in this forum on those crackers as well), the white cheddar is by far my favorite. Followed by the original cheddar. There is a reduced fat (regular) variety....I tried it once....HUGE difference. Not bad, but nothing I would ever buy again. I think the extra fat/cals, etc are worth the superior taste in the original.

I love me some cheesey crackers :)

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

In terms of cheese-its...(because some have commented in this forum on those crackers as well), the white cheddar is by far my favorite. Followed by the original cheddar. There is a reduced fat (regular) variety....I tried it once....HUGE difference. Not bad, but nothing I would ever buy again. I think the extra fat/cals, etc are worth the superior taste in the original.

I completely agree. While the regular Cheez-Its are good with their cheddary tang, the White Cheddar Cheez-Its have a buttery cheesey taste that's quite unique and addictive.

I just noticed the vending machine here at my work has the White Cheddar Cheez-Its. I have no will power and will be buying some for an afternoon snack. :biggrin:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I completely agree. While the regular Cheez-Its are good with their cheddary tang, the White Cheddar Cheez-Its have a buttery cheesey taste that's quite unique and addictive.

I just noticed the vending machine here at my work has the White Cheddar Cheez-Its. I have no will power and will be buying some for an afternoon snack. :biggrin:

YUM! Let me know how the afternoon snack turns out :) I always get the smallish bags at gas stations on road trips....they seem to always be in the snacky type isles there....and the White Cheddar variety is usually carried at the gas stations more-often than the regular (or at least AS often), in my experience.

Yum yum

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

• 2 months later...

I've found that my two kids can go through a bag of goldfish in a hot 10 minutes after a couple of hours of swimming. Yesterday we tried the cheddar kind that have a new starfish shape included. My 6 year old son swore that the starfish shaped ones were much easier to throw in the air and catch in his mouth...

• 5 weeks later...

At last!!! the Swiss have finally discovered cheese goldfishes and decided to put them on supermarket shelves :laugh: Major ONLY...the price is crazily steep!

Sfr 4.50 (appr 4.30$) for 160g (6 oz.) :angry:

note the plain salted ones are already Sfr 2.95 (appr. 2.8o$) for 160g (6 oz.)

No comment...seriously, tjey're just as expensive as the fancy double cut kettle-cooked English malt vinegar crisps...

but boy do I love cheese crackers, which doesn't seem to be the case around here: even "TUC"'s come in plain, bacon, paprika and Pepper flavors but alas no "fromage"

I guess it's because we already eat so much of it :raz: