• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

First pass at Artisan bread

Cameron Smith

Hey all,

First post here. I have been inspired by all I see and learn. thanks.

Anyway the 5 minute artisan bread thread really got me in the kitchen. My first try I used too much whole wheat flour and the bread was heavy and tasted like sawdust. Here are the results from my second batch which tasted great. I think the only issue I am seeing is that there was not much lift in the middle of the loaves. The crumb looked great nearer to the edges but it got much denser towards the middle. Could that be a result of poor slashes? Or possibly not letting it sit out of the fridge long enough (i waited 80 minutes). Baked on stone, 450 oven for 20 minutes.

thanks

Cameron

bread001.jpg

bread005.jpg

bread006.jpg

Edited by Cameron Smith (log)

What type of bread are you attempting to make? I am eager to see after a few more batches how things come out. It is always fun to mess around with the formula because you end up with your own recipe at the end.

Have a great day!

20 minutes seems like too short of a time to get a fully baked loaf. Did you happen to check the internal temperature of the loaf when you decided to pull them out of the oven? When I do 300g batards (about 3/4 pound), I cook them from 25-27 minutes at 450-475.

Regardless, the internal temp should be between 205-210 degrees F.

You didn't say that the middle was gummy, just dense, so I don't know if this would be the issue, but it might be.

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

20 minutes seems like too short of a time to get a fully baked loaf. Did you happen to check the internal temperature of the loaf when you decided to pull them out of the oven? When I do 300g batards (about 3/4 pound), I cook them from 25-27 minutes at 450-475.

Regardless, the internal temp should be between 205-210 degrees F.

You didn't say that the middle was gummy, just dense, so I don't know if this would be the issue, but it might be.

It was a tiny bit gummy I guess. Do you think another 7-10 minutes in the oven would make the difference? I will def try that nxt time. thanks!

I mean, you are sort of in the "experimental" phase right now, trying to get all of the parameters correct. Bread making can be endlessly frustrating because even though it is a relatively simple process, there are a lot of variables that can make the different between blah and ZING!

When doing any of the following, I always employ my instant read thermometer:

* Baking a known recipe but in a new oven

* Baking someone else's or a variation of my own recipe for the first time

* Known recipe, but different amount (Doing a 1 1/2 lb loaf instead of a 1 lb)

Once you learn the dynamics of your oven and your recipes, you can generally put away the thermometer.

If you don't have an instant read (which I think the basic analog dial ones are like $5-$7 at most kitchen stores), try baking the bread for an additional 3-4 minutes the next time. Adjust from there. It'll takes you a couple of batches, but you should be able to narrow down exactly how long it will take. This is why having the instant read is so great ... internal temp between 205 and 210? Pull it out 'cause it's done. :biggrin:

BTW, 205-210 is for lean breads (little or no sugars or fats).

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

I mean, you are sort of in the "experimental" phase right now, trying to get all of the parameters correct. Bread making can be endlessly frustrating because even though it is a relatively simple process, there are a lot of variables that can make the different between blah and ZING!

When doing any of the following, I always employ my instant read thermometer:

* Baking a known recipe but in a new oven

* Baking someone else's or a variation of my own recipe for the first time

* Known recipe, but different amount (Doing a 1 1/2 lb loaf instead of a 1 lb)

Once you learn the dynamics of your oven and your recipes, you can generally put away the thermometer.

If you don't have an instant read (which I think the basic analog dial ones are like $5-$7 at most kitchen stores), try baking the bread for an additional 3-4 minutes the next time. Adjust from there. It'll takes you a couple of batches, but you should be able to narrow down exactly how long it will take. This is why having the instant read is so great ... internal temp between 205 and 210? Pull it out 'cause it's done.  :biggrin:

BTW, 205-210 is for lean breads (little or no sugars or fats).

Thanks Tino, got the oven preheating now and the loaves formed and resting. Will increase time to 24 minutes and report back tonight with pics.

I second the thermometer recommendation.

To keep from opening the oven too much, I use a remote probe thermometers like this. After the bread is half way done, I turn it 180 degrees, and shove the probe thermometer into the middle of the load (i try to go in through the side to spare a hole in the top). Then it's just a matter of waiting until the internal temp hits 205-210.

If you write down the oven temperature, and use the same formula each time (and make the same weight bread), you can just go by time after you nail it.

Hope this helps.