• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Francisco Migoya's Frozen Desserts

Tri2Cook

Some of the savory sorbets suggest the Paco Jet due to a lower than optimal solids content and the sugar being at the low end of the range. That said, I don't have a Paco Jet and they've worked fine for me.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I was curious about the pistachio gelato recipe.

I've often seen yolks left out (Balaguer amongst them) but not atomized glucose, dextrose or trimoline.

2317/5000

There is no atomized glucose, dextrose or trimoline in any of the gelato recipes in the book. There are actually only 6 recipes in the gelato section but he prefaces the section by saying that any custard-based ice cream recipe can be a gelato recipe simply by controlling the overrun (which he says is the only real difference between the two).

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 1 month later...

I am planning on ordering this book tomorrow. Does the book include formulas for frozen custard? I looked through the index on Amazon, but did not see it mentioned.

Thanks!

Dan

Edit... I have been scanning his blog. This guy is a nutjob and I love it! The pop rocks filled space invaders truffles are just too awesome for words... so is the beer I am consuming, but that is a story for another day.

Dan

Edited by DanM (log)

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

• 9 years later...

I was reading the formula for calculating the amount of powder milk solids in the base. But I had a hard time comprehending the reason behind the lower part of the formula....see pic attached . I understand the upper part where the recommended amount of solids is subtracted with the amount of calculated solids in the serum. But then this is furthermore divided by the percentage of solids in skim milk powder minus the percentage amount of solids in liquid skim milk. ...there it gets a bit confusing. I'm guessing  it's assuming that the amount of solids calculated  in the upper part of the formula is not purely milk solids  (without fat) so it's to get the right ratio ....but why subtract the percentage amount of solids in liquid skim milk in the Bottom half? Anyone else looked at this? Thanks

IMG_20180908_124932691.jpg

Just now, pastrygirl said:

@BenA I'm not sure I can decipher it any better than you, but what page is that on?

I think it's either on page 62 or 63. What I Posted was the corrected page on the internet ...he apparently adjusted the page

I don't know, it's confusing :/

so you're making up a recipe based on the suggested ratios of sugar, fat, solids, liquids, etc on the previous page and he has the example of the 8kg batch

first you figure out how much of the base is total solids (fat, sugar, egg yolk, stabilizers) and how much is liquid.  The nonfat solids are not included in the total solids, so the 'liquid' portion is the water and nonfat solids in the milk but the fat in the milk gets counted as solids.

The second equation is figuring out how much nonfat solids are in that amount of skim milk and how much more (in the form of nonfat dry milk) you need to add to reach the target % in the recipe. 

But then how do you calculate the fat?  There isn't 720 g of fat in 6034 g of whole or skim milk ...

Now I'm more confused!  Makes tempering chocolate seem easy :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pastrygirl said:

I don't know, it's confusing :/

so you're making up a recipe based on the suggested ratios of sugar, fat, solids, liquids, etc on the previous page and he has the example of the 8kg batch

first you figure out how much of the base is total solids (fat, sugar, egg yolk, stabilizers) and how much is liquid.  The nonfat solids are not included in the total solids, so the 'liquid' portion is the water and nonfat solids in the milk but the fat in the milk gets counted as solids.

The second equation is figuring out how much nonfat solids are in that amount of skim milk and how much more (in the form of nonfat dry milk) you need to add to reach the target % in the recipe. 

But then how do you calculate the fat?  There isn't 720 g of fat in 6034 g of whole or skim milk ...

Now I'm more confused!  Makes tempering chocolate seem easy :)

I think you're more confused than I am. 🙂 I actually understood most of it except for the part calculating the amount of milk powder. I just wanted to understand the logic in that Particular formula (for milk powder)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BenA said:

I was reading the formula for calculating the amount of powder milk solids in the base. But I had a hard time comprehending the reason behind the lower part of the formula....see pic attached . I understand the upper part where the recommended amount of solids is subtracted with the amount of calculated solids in the serum. But then this is furthermore divided by the percentage of solids in skim milk powder minus the percentage amount of solids in liquid skim milk. ...there it gets a bit confusing. I'm guessing  it's assuming that the amount of solids calculated  in the upper part of the formula is not purely milk solids  (without fat) so it's to get the right ratio ....but why subtract the percentage amount of solids in liquid skim milk in the Bottom half? Anyone else looked at this? Thanks

I spent some time with this book when it first came out and found quite a few head-scratchers that I suspect are editing problems. I don't remember that exact formula. Have you worked out the math and then analyzed the results, to see if they match the intention?

• Like 1

Notes from the underbelly

On 9/12/2018 at 12:27 AM, paulraphael said:

I spent some time with this book when it first came out and found quite a few head-scratchers that I suspect are editing problems. I don't remember that exact formula. Have you worked out the math and then analyzed the results, to see if they match the intention?

Sorry for the delayed reply. I've worked the math just in theory. But I got a little stumped in the formula for computing the weight of powdered milk... in that specific part I mentioned in the op. Everything else I can comprehend.