• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Infrared/Laser Thermometers

chocophile

A few years ago  my DW gave a an IR thermometer thinking I would like it for checking surfaces temps on my grill. I have played with it a bit but never really used it. We have taken it for faire and she has used it to take spot temperatures in the commercial operation refrigerator just for reference.

So my vote, solely based upon how I haven't really used it, is that I would not spend the money on one. YMMV.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Just used it to see if my oven had cooled enough from baking bread (the ugliest loaf of rye imaginable) to put in my thinly sliced zucchini for my zucchini chips experiment. 

• Like 1

I want to thank Shel B for starting this. I don't have anything to add. I do have a UV thermometer but have not used it much lately. I used to use it when I did more deep frying. But I went to the Thermoworks site because of this and noticed a new product called Dot. It's an oven alarm thermometer. I just ordered one with a probe designed for measuring the air in my smoker. Unlike other such alarms, the probe wire is suppose to stand up 700º. I hope it works out. 

What is a UV thermometer?

"700 C" or "700 F"? Temperature in a smoker can be higher then 700F.

A Kiln temperature controller can measure to 1800C.

dcarch

What is a UV thermometer?

dcarch

I imagine that the probe is rated to 700F, not 700C - which as I'm sure you're aware is about 1300degF. I don't think thermoworks is selling kiln thermometers on their consumer site!

I imagine that the probe is rated to 700F, not 700C - which as I'm sure you're aware is about 1300degF. I don't think thermoworks is selling kiln thermometers on their consumer site!

A BGE can easily get up to 1,000F.

dcarch

As I think you are quite sure you know I made a mistake by typing UV when I meant IR.   My smoking chamber is always under 350º F, nearly always under 275º F. Higher than that isn't smoking. It's roasting.  The firebox gets higher but that isn't where the probe is going. I don't have a BGE and don't expect to ever have one. I can't think of any food that wouldn't be almost instantly incinerated at 700º C.  My cheaper probe thermometer's drawback was the probe cable. I am hoping this one is more durable.   

I have had 50 years experience using a kiln pyrometer.  They aren't accurate at smoking temperatures. Heck every one I ever used wasn't accurate enough for firing pottery kilns.  They are only used as a guide for time to start checking pyrometric cones. 

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 1

I like to check the temp of my pizza stone when I'm doing pizza on it. As well as pans before sautéing, but basically it's a geek's tool.

I also use it to check the body temp difference between my wife and me - for some reason, she's always 4° - 5° warmer than me. 

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

dcarch

Smokers, at least those used at home always maintain temperatures much lower than 700°F. Normal smoking temperatures are in the 200° range I normally smoke between 225° and 250°. When you get up to 700° you certainly are not smoking.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Smokers, at least those used at home always maintain temperatures much lower than 700°F. Normal smoking temperatures are in the 200° range I normally smoke between 225° and 250°. When you get up to 700° you certainly are not smoking.

That's true. I have some pork in my smoker at 155F now.

However, some smokers are also grillers/BBQs.

dcarch

• Like 1

Something to consider if you don't see the value in a dedicated IR thermometer ... there are some cool products that combine a thermocouple probe and an IR thermometer in one. 

I have an older model of this Taylor. It's worked flawlessly for 6 or 7 years. The IR part is definitely low-end, but works for simple stuff

Notes from the underbelly

Well, if knowing what you're doing produces improved results, IR thermometers let you know where you are (or aren't).

Ergo...

BTW, I use them to check preheating SS frying surfaces to judge when to add my fats.  I also use them to judge how close I'm getting to melting tin linings.  Knowing when my pizza steel is fully preheated alone is worth the price of an IR gun.  As is knowing when your PTFE pan is getting too hot...

Edited by boilsover (log)

What is a UV IR thermometer?

dcarch

I believe the issue is the temperature that the cable can handle - not the temperature the probe can measure. The type K thermocouples that most Thermoworks probes use are good up in the range -200 to 1350 C. So if you mount the probe through the side of the smoker, you should be fine. If you close the probe cable through the door, the way I use mine in the oven, you may need to be be careful. I did melt the cable on mine when it slipped into the gas flame when deep frying. BTW, most porcelain will start to soften at about 1300 C so the type K thermocouples are good for firing pretty much any food safe :wink: ceramic.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

one other thing :  make sure you understand emissivity if you want an 'accurate' temp.

Absolutely.  Even when you get the emissivity set for the material you're measuring, the degree of polish and the curvature of the surface can skew results.  I don't think anyone should have a high degree of confidence an IR gun is within the usual stated 2% level of accuracy.  Anyone who needs to accurately know a specific temperature needs a contact thermocouple.

Then there's the issue of the spread ratio of the IR beam.  Many of even the good ones are 1:12, so you also need to be aware of how wide an area you're measuring.  For example, it's easy to unintentionally put the beam on the wall of the pan.   

Still, for me, I need to know when my pizza steel is as hot as it's going to get, when I'm close to where I want to be, or when I'm headed in the wrong direction.  These guns do that for me in a useful way.  

Absolutely.  Even when you get the emissivity set for the material you're measuring, the degree of polish and the curvature of the surface can skew results.  I don't think anyone should have a high degree of confidence an IR gun is within the usual stated 2% level of accuracy.  Anyone who needs to accurately know a specific temperature needs a contact thermocouple.

Then there's the issue of the spread ratio of the IR beam.  Many of even the good ones are 1:12, so you also need to be aware of how wide an area you're measuring.  For example, it's easy to unintentionally put the beam on the wall of the pan.   

Still, for me, I need to know when my pizza steel is as hot as it's going to get, when I'm close to where I want to be, or when I'm headed in the wrong direction.  These guns do that for me in a useful way.  

Thermoworks makes an IR thermometer where the laser traces a circle so you can see the spot size.

Your steel is is a good example of the usefulness of relative measurements - is it getting hotter? and of precise measurements as opposed to accurate measurements. If you are measuring the same thing in the same way, then there is useful information in relation to your experience. 

It's almost never bad to feed someone.