• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great Place for a Seattle Birthday Dinner?

I've got a two year old, so I've been out of the restaurant scene for almost 3 years. Are there great places that have opened in that time you'd recommend for a birthday dinner? This is for this coming Sunday, for three (my husband and me and a friend--the two year old's not invited).

Happy Birthday! Here's a start:

Spinasse (Capitol Hill)

Springhill (West Seattle)

Spur Gastropub (Belltown)

Wow, all s's. Where have you been that you liked? What do you want to eat? Price points? Do remember that this is Valentine's Day weekend and the crowds may be out.

Thanks tsquare, and good questions. Pre-baby we loved Zoe and Union. In September we had a a great meal at the Corson Building. In the past we've liked Pair and Stumbling Goat but are most recent meals at both weren't great.

My best recent meal was at Olivar on Capital Hill. Not just great food, but its hard to beat the room for warmth and intimacy.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

My best recent meal was at Olivar on Capital Hill.  Not just great food, but its hard to beat the room for warmth and intimacy.

Oh that's good to hear--it's one of the places I'd been thinking about. Do you know if they take reservations?

they do and I also think it's a good choice.

I wouldn't do spur for my dinner though i love it for drinks and nosh bfore a dinner

I like Spinasse and also would say that I still am a big fan of lark especially for a small group. Art of the Table is also just awesome. Union, Quinns, Boat Street or the much overlooked but really in the same price range le Gourmand (you don't have to do the tasting menu, they have ala carte) would be my choices~