• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sunday in NOLA

elfin

We will be in NOLA (staying in the garden district) for less than 24 hours-arriving Sunday afternoon and leaving Monday morning. We will have travelled through Lafayette area and eating local fare. We would have chosen Cochon as our first pick but alas it is closed. Any good substitutes in terms of cuisine, budget and originality? Basically we have only two meals in NOLA-lunch and dinner. Plus we are with two small kids-5 and 6yo. who are pretty good eaters. Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you.

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

We will be in NOLA (staying in the garden district) for less than 24 hours-arriving Sunday afternoon and leaving Monday morning.  We will have travelled through Lafayette area and eating local fare.  We would have chosen Cochon as our first pick but alas it is closed.  Any good substitutes in terms of cuisine, budget and originality?  Basically we have only two meals in NOLA-lunch and dinner.  Plus we are with two small kids-5 and 6yo. who are pretty good eaters.  Any help would be most appreciated.  Thank you.

I am surprised to hear you say Cochon is closed. They are still listed on Tom Fitzmorris' site.

Other places to try would be KPaul or Mulate's (IMO)

I am surprised to hear you say Cochon is closed. They are still listed on Tom Fitzmorris' site.

I'm no fan of Mulate's as it exists in New Orleans. FYI, Cochon is very much open, it is just closed on SUNDAYS (that includes the newly opened Butcher part of the business). I'll make some suggestions that aren't stereotypical New Orleans flavors, but rather represent high-quality stuff offered by independent producers.

If I were headed into town with two little ones in tow, I'd probably have lunch at La Divina Gelateria; simple, tasty paninis, soups, and killer gelato. A few doors from La Divina is Sucre, a high-end patisserie, in case you need some sweet treats for the road.

In a similar, low-key vein is St. James Cheese Company, with a delicious selection of cheese-centric sandwiches & salads, offered inside a retail cheese shop. For the kiddos, Creole Creameryis just down Prytania Street from St. James.

Edited by TAPrice (log)

We will be in NOLA (staying in the garden district) for less than 24 hours-arriving Sunday afternoon and leaving Monday morning.  We will have travelled through Lafayette area and eating local fare.  We would have chosen Cochon as our first pick but alas it is closed.  Any good substitutes in terms of cuisine, budget and originality?  Basically we have only two meals in NOLA-lunch and dinner.  Plus we are with two small kids-5 and 6yo. who are pretty good eaters.   Any help would be most appreciated.  Thank you.

I think he meant they are closed on Sundays.

K-Paul's is also closed on Sundays. Sunday night can be a tough night to dine out in New Orleans.

Edited by joiei (log)

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

FYI, Cochon is very much open, it is just closed on SUNDAYS (that includes the newly opened Butcher part of the business).

Not true! At least, it's no longer true.

Just moments ago, I got an email announcing that Cochon Butcher is now open 7 days a week.

It's very low-key, although the seating might be hard for small kids. Mainly tall, bar-type tables. But boy is the food good.

They're also doing a breakfast on Sunday:

Cochon Butcher is Now Open Seven Days a Week

Including Sundays from 10am - 5pm

Sunday Breakfast at Cochon Butcher

On Sunday enjoy our regular menu as well as our new Sunday only breakfast.

SAMPLE SUNDAY BREAKFAST ITEMS INCLUDE:

Fried Chicken and Biscuits

Ham and Egg Tart

Biscuits with Sausage Gravy

Butcher Bacon and Onion Quiche

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

I would definitely be up for checking out the Cochon Butcher breakfast on Sunday.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

FYI, Cochon is very much open, it is just closed on SUNDAYS (that includes the newly opened Butcher part of the business).

Not true! At least, it's no longer true.

Just moments ago, I got an email announcing that Cochon Butcher is now open 7 days a week.

It's very low-key, although the seating might be hard for small kids. Mainly tall, bar-type tables. But boy is the food good.

They're also doing a breakfast on Sunday:

Cochon Butcher is Now Open Seven Days a Week

Including Sundays from 10am - 5pm

Sunday Breakfast at Cochon Butcher

On Sunday enjoy our regular menu as well as our new Sunday only breakfast.

SAMPLE SUNDAY BREAKFAST ITEMS INCLUDE:

Fried Chicken and Biscuits

Ham and Egg Tart

Biscuits with Sausage Gravy

Butcher Bacon and Onion Quiche

I would definitely be up for checking out the Cochon Butcher breakfast on Sunday.

Oh, hell yeah. Go to Cochon for breakfast on Sunday. Then have gelato for pre-lunch.

Some other Sunday dinner and lunch ideas would include Casamento's and Mandina's, Patois has a nice Sunday brunch. At Jackson and Magazine is Stein's Deli if your in the mood for a reuben. Don't forget, there are two Parades Sunday on St. Charles Ave., and Barkus in the Quarter starting at 2:00. Hope you enjoy your trip. ch

Thank you all for your help. We arrived in NOLA around 11 and our first stop was at Cochon Butcher. Despite the parade route parking restrictions everywhere we managed to find a parking spot right in front of the place. With two little ones in tow (who were just sprung from the back seat after our trip from Lafayette) we were greeted by a smiling staff drinking a glass of white wine-I knew this place was going to be good. Without looking at the menu (which we had studied for a few days prior) we spotted a cheesy goodness plate going into an oven- a muffalata- which was ordered and served pronto. Truly the best one we have ever had-the meats were incredible. What to order next...a suggestion of the pork belly sandwich with cucumber and mint was taken. At first I thought that the white bread would be too thin (as opposed to a roll) but it was perfect. The fat from the belly was soaked up by the bread and thus was not too bready-if you know what I mean. You could really taste each element. The whole sandwich really did melt in your mouth with a refreshing mint chase and cuke crunch. After hearing about our trip through boudin country a plate of the house made delight was served gratis. OMG! Spicy, porky and juicy with a perfect melt in you mouth casing-we are now spoiled. We ordered another link which was inhaled as quickly as it arrived. The pickles (which you can buy there) were bread and butter with a little kick and are a perfect compliment to the dish. Our girls ate the homemade potato chips and nibbled on the muffalata enough so to litter the impecably clean floor with crumbs. The offerings in the cases were so tempting but alas we had no way to keep them cool until our return to Chicago. But they do mail..... This place is a gem and not to be missed if you are into all things pork.

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}