• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Toronto Restaurant Recommendations 2009

enthusiastically second the 'Hoof. I posted pictures from our meal at the Black Hoof over at the 'blog. You do need to be somewhat adventurous though, else there isn't going to be much for you to eat. That said, the food is awesome.

for Indian, I'm at Trimurti most often, though I find Lahore Tikka House to have both better food and value -- it's just way farther out in the 'burbs.

Lai Wah Heen is excellent, but as estufarian said, it's really expensive (I spent $30 on dim sum and that was really a very light grazing). A cheaper alternative that's still downtown is Pearl Harbourfront. Lai Wah Heen is definitely more unique though and I'd still recommend it if you don't mind shelling out.

for Indian, I'm at Trimurti most often, though I find Lahore Tikka House to have both better food and value -- it's just way farther out in the 'burbs.

Thanks for the endorsement. But a slight difference in taste. I find Lahore Tikka House to be priced almost exactly the same as Trimurti (around $30-$35 for two without beer), but I much prefer both the service and ambiance at Trimurti. Lahore is more Pakistani and Trimurti Indian (if anyone has a preference) - I find the spicing more subtle at Trimurti and prefer some of the 'rarer' dishes (such as Pasanda, which is not common in Toronto). And even if all else was equal I'd go for the Onion Bhaji at Trimurti (that's my personal acid test).

Edited by estufarian (log)

yes -- to clarify, I should have said that the portions are bigger (for the price) at Lahore, though that's just my recollection, I've never made a point of specifically comparing. Prices are similar. Lahore's ambiance is definitely inferior given that they give you the choices of a) picnic tables, a tent, and disposable tableware or b) indoor hole-in-the-wall.

for Mussina -- I don't think you'll go wrong with either, though I think Trimurti wins by default due to accessibility to out-of-towners.

and I'll try the Pasanda next time I'm there, thanks for the rec estufarian!

Thanks for the endorsement. But a slight difference in taste. I find Lahore Tikka House to be priced almost exactly the same as Trimurti (around $30-$35 for two without beer), but I much prefer both the service and ambiance at Trimurti. Lahore is more Pakistani and Trimurti Indian (if anyone has a preference) - I find the spicing more subtle at Trimurti and prefer some of the 'rarer' dishes (such as Pasanda, which is not common in Toronto). And even if all else was equal I'd go for the Onion Bhaji at Trimurti (that's my personal acid test).

Perfect timing estufarian - heading to Trimurti tonight and will definitely try the Pasanda!

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.