• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vodka shaken vs. a Vodka Martini

Ufamizm

If you're just muddling them and fine straining anyway, couldn't you use frozen blueberries?

I would, but don't those invariably have sugar added?? It always seems like the blueberry "juice" is more like blueberry "syrup", which would undoubtedly throw off the balance of the recipe.

I don't think I've ever seen frozen blueberries with sugar added. Maybe a little citric acid but that's it. Frozen and then thawed juice will be thicker because it contains a higher proportion of dissolved fruit solids as freezing breaks down the cell walls.

PS: I am a guy.

Ok - that makes more sense. Next time I see frozen blueberries when I'm shopping at Trader Joe's or BJ's, I'll nab some and play with some new drink recipe ideas. Last summer we were making blueberry simple syrup for lemonades (either with or without the extra kick of some booze) by buzzing fresh blueberries through the blending in the still hot simple syrup and then straining it. This shouldn't be any more difficult to accomplish and I don't even need to cook up a batch of simple.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol