• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sandwiches taking over?

Dave Hatfield

Here's a link to an article in this weeks Economist magazine.

Can it be true? Is Paris really going to the sandwiches? Say it isn't so - please!

If true what a pity. A do enjoy my plat de jour or even my prix fixe menu. But to have them displaced by le sandwich? Don't get me wrong I like & have always enjoyed sandwiches here in France, but enough is enough.

Parisiens, tell me what's going on here please.

Another sensationalist article by someone who probably has never been to Paris..True, there are recently more and more "luxe" sandwich places (Cojean, Guy Martin, etc), and time is less and less available, but articles like this are sometimes no more than filler..

Edited by fresh_a (log)

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

Judging from the areas we frequent in the daytime, I find truth in the following excerpt.

"The young seem particularly keen, even (quelle horreur!) eating the things at their desks. The average 25-34-year-old consumes twice as many sandwiches every year as does a 45-54-year-old, says Raphael Berger, at the Research Centre for the Study and Observation of Living Conditions. Working women like le sandwich, says Jean Rossi at GIRA Foodservice. It “leaves them time to do other things, like going shopping, during their lunch hour too.” "

We, in fact, fell victim to the trend when we saw the flow of people in and out of a sandwich shop* on Rochechouart. For 4€ I enjoyed a delicious panini of grilled zucchini, chevre and tapenade on ciabatta, a table at which to eat, the rest of my time to stroll and window shop and plenty of appetite for an important dinner that evening. (For 7€ you also were given your choice of salad and beverage.) I heartily recommend the address if not the trend.

*Les Anges Gourmands

12, rue Rochecouart 9e (It's actually en route to the old Spring.)

Metero: Cadet

eGullet member #80.