• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Phirni

Anu

I am making dinner for some friends and would like to make phirni for dessert...however I want to try something different with it...adding fruit, different flavors...Does anyone have any suggestions?

I am making dinner for some friends and would like to make phirni for dessert...however I want to try something different with it...adding fruit, different flavors...Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hi there Anu, here are a few flavoring that I have either tasted somewhere or made myself:

-- The old indian favorite Mango, add finely chopped mangoes or even a few tablespoons of cold mango pulp (canned) to the phirni

-- Saffron and Cardamom

-- Rose water and rose petals

-- Khahoor or dates, again finally chopped mixed into phirni and top it with some whole dates. If you can find the variety they sell with almonds stuffed in them, creates a very unique dessert

-- Fresh chopped oranges

-- Fresh chopped strawberries

-- A friend has once flavored it with some tye of alcohol. I will look to see if I can find it. Gave it a different flavor, not my favorite, but others seem to love it.

Thats all I can think of at this time, hope this helps :smile:

Spicegirl, mayb you ought to do a Phirni tasting for us.  

I know of some punj's who are fanatical about purity of phirni - No variations - I gather it is used in some occasions to break a fast - No do not know which !! :smile:

anil

Spicegirl, mayb you ought to do a Phirni tasting for us.  

I know of some punj's who are fanatical about purity of phirni - No variations - I gather it is used in some occasions to break a fast - No do not know which !! :smile:

Well I happen to be one of those. Nothing like a good simple plain Firni. It is pure bliss in each bite.

Everytime I am in Delhi, I have to travel to Jama Masjid to have some at Karim's and then Kaka my savior in that area will have us invited into one of the old homes and request them to serve me Firni they have made at home.

I feel that night that I have gone back into time and that Bahadur Shah Zafar is still the ruler of Delhi.

Note: Bahadur Shah Zafar was the last Mughal Emperor, a poet and a connoisseur of all things fine.

It turned out well...I prepared it in the traditional style and then added coconut milk...then i layered it with strawberries and mangoes...i might

try it with pineapple next time...another suggestion was to add flavored liquer...