• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Champagne restaurants and accommodations

Darren72

Hello everyone,

My wife and I are planning a trip to France in September. We'd like to spend a few days in Champagne. We'd love to stay at a chateau/vineyard for a couple of nights, if such accommodations exist. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Also, any restaurant recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks!

Hello everyone,

My wife and I are planning a trip to France in September. We'd like to spend a few days in Champagne. We'd love to stay at a chateau/vineyard for a couple of nights, if such accommodations exist. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Also, any restaurant recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks!

Boyer des Crayers is a beautiful hotel with a two star restaurant. The chef Didier Elena is a disciple of Alain Ducasse. The rooms are elegant and large. My parents still talk of their recent two night stay at the hotel, with cocktails outside with a beautiful view of the hotel grounds. Dinner was superb as well.

We tried to get a booking at Les Crayeres in December a couple of years back but it was closed for the winter; instead, we visited L'Assiette Champenoise at Tinqueux (**, just outside of Reims) and had a fantastic lunch there. Arnaud Lallement is the chef at the family estate and his food is fresh and innovative, while exhibiting a true sense of generosity, not just in quantity (perhaps just slightly overdone) but also in warmth of service, genuine care and hospitality. He offers a great value lunch menu and as expected, a great selection of Champagnes and other wines / spirits of the region.

eGullet thread on L'Assiette Champenoise

I can't vouch for the accommodations there, though they do not look as luxurious as those at Les Crayeres.

Sethd, sorry if I'm being a little thick but I'm not sure whether you have been to Les Crayeres or whether your post was based on your parents' visit? Didier Elena is cooking at the Raffles Hotel next week and I've booked lunch on Thursday.

Julian's Eating - Tales of Food and Drink

I'll add my recommendation for Les Crayeres as well, but with the caveat that it's based on a honeymoon stay some 6 years on, when the Boyers were still running it. As such, we hadn't experienced M. Elena's menu. Nevertheless, the grounds, the rooms, and the experience of staying there was nothing short of magical. My wife and I still wax rhapsodic about the sumptuous and lavish breakfast, let alone the dinner.

Christopher

We stayed at Guy Charbaut two years ago. It's an Inn at the vineyard, outside of Epernay in

Mareuil-sur-Ay.

The staff was a bit like Fawlty Towers, as they were busy with the business... and it was a bit low end, but comfy enough. We had a tour and their champagne isn't bad. Don't let them cook for you for dinner though...it's right across the street from Billecart-Salmon.

Also down the road in the same town-right off the town square- is a really big old house/chateau with nice big rooms that our friends stayed in.

We really liked Pierre Peters champagne from the same town that Salon is from. Mesnil...(is it sur Oger?)

Philly Francophiles