• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Celery Salt

iainpb

When I use celery salt it replaces any other salt. But the quality of celery salt really varies. Some of it is quite chemically tasting. Toss that stuff.

A few ideas...

devilled eggs

bbq sauce

various salad dressings n- dips

Bloody Mary's

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

It's the "secret ingredient" in the "Mom's tuna" recipe that had people coming in from all over the state, back when I worked at this old deli.

Celery salt in tuna is awesome, though nowadays I use celery seed.

When I'm out of celery I use celery salt, to add an extra flavor to soups or meats or vegetables. Much in the way some people (but not me) would use onion or garlic salt or powder.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

+1 on a Chicago style dog.

The hot dog needs a poppy seed bun and is topped with sliced tomatoes, diced onion, a pickle spear, neon green relish, sport peppers and finished with yellow mustard and celery salt.

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Celery Salt is the primary seasoning in my mom's chicken and rice soup. She would make a simple stock by using the bones from a roast chicken, add rice and the shredded, cooked meat, maybe some onions and carrots, and celery salt. Serve with saltines or oyster crackers...yum!

I use lots of celery seed in my coleslaw, along with salt, but celery salt might be too high a proportion of salt to substitute.

Celery Salt is actually a wonderful spice to rub on a beef roast.

My Mother used to always keep a bottle of Spice Islands "Beau Monde" seasoning on the rack above the stove to sprinkle on beef. The Spice Islands blend includes celery salt and onion powder. I prefer the blend of spices to straight celery salt, which I find can be a bit overpowering.

Apparently there are some imitations of "Beau Monde" out there that don't include the celery salt.

It's also used in the Seasoning Salt spice blend, which is great on fried foods (onion rings, french fries, etc.).

Celery Salt is a key ingredient/spice in my family's original Chex Mix (from the early 60's) recipe that we make every Christmas holiday season. Wouldn't be the same without it.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Another vote for celery salt in Bloody Marys. Not the same without it.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.