• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

You Want To Eat There? In This Economy?

jvalentino

The stories on Nighline declaring the era of excess is over, companies that can afford to advertise during the Super Bowl deciding not to due to appearing "irresponsible" etc etc. How much of the downturn in eating out especially fine dining can be attributed to the economy, and how much because we "shouldn't" right now?

Have you made changes in how you dine even if your finacial circumstances haven't made it necesary?

Jeff

This struck me as a really odd question: why wouldn't I continue to dine in my accustomed fashion if I can still afford it? I live in an area heavily dependent on tourism dollars & service industry jobs. Post-Katrina, many residents feel a real economic obligation to spread their entertainment dollars around in the local market. If anything, I've eliminated the lower end of my dining-out budget (crappy lunches, overpriced on-campus food) in the interest of preserving the higher end meals.

Then again, New Orleans isn't really a town that gives a damn about austerity or perceived fiscal piety, so perhaps I have a peculiarly regional perspective!

We've never eaten out with any frequency, at least when we are at home, but the eating out we do hasn't changed. I figure the owners and staff of the local restaurants we prefer live nearby and we are helping to prop up the local economy--our neighbors-- each time we dine out. Of course, it helps our ability to continue to eat in the same fashion when there are no restaurants within 25 miles of us at which we could spend $100 on food(for two, not counting alcohol)without being gluttonous.

Depending on one's near term and long term financial prospects I believe that one should continue to spend "responsibly." If prospects are such that one can continue to afford fine dining, then one should. Not to do so, will only continue to worsen the overall economic prospects. On the other hand, if one is concerned about the possibility of current or near future economic calamity, then one should act accordingly. The problem is that not too many people can really be sure of their prospects in this economy.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Depending on one's near term and long term financial prospects I believe that one should continue to spend "responsibly." If prospects are such that one can continue to afford fine dining, then one should. Not to do so, will only continue to worsen the overall economic prospects. On the other hand, if one is concerned about the possibility of current or near future economic calamity, then one should act accordingly. The problem is that not too many people can really be sure of their prospects in this economy.

Exactly!

If things conctinue as they are now, I can afford to dine out. I will make sure to show my face at favored local establishments. That would be one of the last things to go.

Dining at restaurants just as a substitute for cooking in was one of the very first things to go, however.

This struck me as a really odd question:  why wouldn't I continue to dine in my accustomed fashion if I can still afford it?  I live in an area heavily dependent on tourism dollars & service industry jobs.  Post-Katrina, many residents feel a real economic obligation to spread their entertainment dollars around in the local market.  If anything, I've eliminated the lower end of my dining-out budget (crappy lunches, overpriced on-campus food) in the interest of preserving the higher end meals.

I agree.

I asked because this past week I called a few places that can be a little tough to get into and they all had multiple openings on multiple days this week (whether that is because of Valentines Day I don't know). I mentioned that fact to someone and got "isn't it foolish to spend that kind of money on a meal in this economy?". So I wanted to know if anyone is actually doing less fine dining due to a sense of empathy for others.

If one appreciates, the art and skill that goes into preparing fine dining food, then one should do what one can to preserve those skills and make sure they don't disappear. If people who can support it don't, those skills will disappear and everyone will be a loser.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Yes, to good locals. No, to just about everything else.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

I don't do anything based on guilt including deciding how to spend my money. Guilt-based morals and political correctness are pet peeves of mine. Both cause many more problems than they solve.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

So I wanted to know if anyone is actually doing less fine dining due to a sense of empathy for others.

Is that a joke? Why would anyone else's financial state impact where I eat? That's truly kind of an apalling concept. I really can't wrap my brain around it. If you can afford it, enjoy it with gusto. Let others do the same at whatever level THEY can afford, and never let someone make you feel bad because you can do things they can't.

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest