• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whalers Rare Reserve Dark Rum

mikef

Has anyone else tried this? It apparently got good reviews at this years Rumfest, and it was only $14 at a local store so I tried it last night. Contrary to it's name, it is NOT a dark rum. When you open the bottle, there is a distinct odor of butterscotch and the rum also has a buttery taste (which I don't personally find appealing).

I didn't try the whalers at the Rumfest. I've never really regarded them as a premium rum company, so I was dissuaded from tasting it.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

It used to be dark. Bishop Brands bought the company about 3 years ago and changed the bottles (and the product). It has since been bought by Heaven Hill (a big Bourbon producer) about 3 omnths ago, and I imagine it will be changed once again.