• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dessert = Supper

Darienne

Once a week we have dessert for supper. It's far better than having a slice of something after a full meal which means only a little piece for the ladies among us. This way, with the entire meal simply a dessert, we can all eat as much as we want and have a wonderful time!

Of course the desserts have to be within certain limits. It's not all that satisfying to just pig out on a very rich chocolate cake...well, I can't...you need to have a grain component which is not too rich or too sweet and lots of fruit and dairy. ...or that's as far as we have gotten so far... This is all prompted by a lucky purchase of a waffle iron today. Waffles are next.

So waffles with fruit and whipped cream/sourcream/ice cream will be perfect, as are shortcakes with fruit and cream as above, and fruit pancakes with ditto.

Then there are blintzes and rice puddings and bread puddings and noodle puddings and things in puff or phyllo pastry...

Any wonderful recipes to pass along? :wub:

ps. You are all invited.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Baked Banana-Stuffed French Toast (using regular whole wheat slices, not thin, as indicated), topped with fresh strawberries and powdered sugar, drizzled with pure maple syrup - from Bon Appetit.

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

Baked Banana-Stuffed French Toast, topped with fresh strawberries and powdered sugar, drizzled with pure maple syrup - from Bon Appetit.

Sounds delicious...thanks. :smile: I might use raspberries instead. Strawberries can be so not wonderful out of season.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I don't know if you saw my edit above, but I recommend using regular slices of whole wheat bread, not thin - they won't hold up the banana stuffing well, and it may be the reason a few reviewers complained of mushiness. Also, I always add more cinnamon!

Here's the link:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/vie...ench-Toast-4388

Edited by merstar (log)

I don't know if you saw my edit above, but I recommend using regular slices of whole wheat bread, not thin - they won't hold up the banana stuffing well, and it may be the reason a few reviewers complained of mushiness. Also, I always add more cinnamon!

Here's the link:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/vie...ench-Toast-4388

Thanks for the recipe link, Merstar. I would probably substitute real milk and real bread and unsliced at that. Does Epicurious feature low/no fat recipes? :sad:

And I ALWAYS add more cinnamon. Life without cinnamon would be dull. And I would like to try real cinnamon, instead of the cassia which we normally get. I have a friend currently in Goa and I have asked her to see if she could find some cinnamon and bring it back. :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Thanks for the recipe link, Merstar.  I would probably substitute real milk and real bread and unsliced at that.  Does Epicurious feature low/no fat recipes?  :sad:

Darienne,

Don't let the lowfat aspect throw you - it's a very rich tasting French toast. No, Epicurious doesn't feature lowfat recipes - this just happens to be one. I love it when I find lowfat recipes that taste like they're high fat!

Crêpes-repas featuring lobster or smoked salmon are the cat's ass.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

This is my first nominee:

A bread pudding with a twist.

Top the grilled slices with fruit compote in winter when fresh fruits are questionable but summer fruits, peaches, strawberries, etc., lend a special something.

Or, if you want something that is time consuming but really worth it, try this one.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

This is my first nominee:

A bread pudding with a twist.

Top the grilled slices with fruit compote in winter when fresh fruits are questionable but summer fruits, peaches, strawberries, etc., lend a special something.

Or, if you want something that is time consuming but really worth it, try this one.

The bread pudding sounds wonderful...and I'll try it. The second recipe sounds wonderful too, but beyond my present scope. I have yet to make marzipan. It's on my list of things to make while in Moab...but then it was on my list of things to make in the fall also.

Thanks, Andie :smile:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I love dessert too! and what great idea to make it a meal, because so often, we are too full from the meal and have to squeeze space for a few spoons of dessert!

Maybe due to my love my dessert, I have to watch my intake of fat and sugar. I found this pancakes recipe - Low-Fat Whole Wheat Cinnamon Pancakes - that are very tasty. I like the taste of whole wheat. Also I absolutely love the pumpkin twist to this french toast recipe - Pumpkin Pie French Toast Recipe.

Enjoy!

Hey.

This is common-ish in Norway. The traditional meals in Norway are breakfast - lunch - dinner - coffee (which includes cakes) - supper.

As far as I know Friday is considered waffle-day in many families, meaning you have waffles with coffee that day. Except during holidays and weekends the coffee meal often gets skipped these days, but not on Fridays. Waffle day is sacred for a lot of people :)

Btw: We have fried night once in a while as well, a day where we have a late dinner where everything is deep fried. Had one last week, actually. This is not a Norwegian tradition, though. Just ours :P

- Searching for inspiration and knowledge -

And I ALWAYS add more cinnamon.  Life without cinnamon would be dull.  And I would like to try real cinnamon, instead of the cassia which we normally get.  I have a friend currently in Goa and I have asked her to see if she could find some cinnamon and bring it back. :smile:

Penzey's has real Ceylon cinnamon, as well as various cassia types.

Thank you all for the recipes and information. :smile: I have downloaded and printed them out. This group of folks is really something else!!! :biggrin:

Tonight's supper will be pecan waffles...on our new-to-us-second-hand waffle iron...with a variety of toppings: whipped cream, sour cream, chocolate, Bailey's Irish Cream ice cream, toasted extra pecans, and syrup in which Meyer lemon peels were candied. Yes, we are having company. And yes, we are quite popular!! :raz:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.