• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Algerian "date candy"?

I was at an open house on Sat. where I sampled an Algerian treat that I liked very much. It's a mix of toasted semolina, nuts, dates, perhaps honey, ground into a paste and, in this case, served in cubes. I've found references calling it "date candy," "tmer," and "rfisse." I've asked for the recipe, but if that doesn't come through, does anyone have a recipe to share? I've even ordered "Les Douceurs de Kenza" from Amazon France, hoping it to find a recipe!

AFAIK, the recipe for those date balls doesn't call for semolina, but rather regular flour. However, I suppose you can substitute semolina....

Here's the recipe I was given.

In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, make a sort of roux using a stick of butter and a cup of flour. You'll want the flour to end up blond in color. Add two firmly-packed cups chopped soft dates (I like Medjool for this) and stir to combine. Remove from heat and add your choice of spices: cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, and/or anise (also, if you want to, add honey to taste), and stir well. (Alternatively, pulse mixture in food processor if you prefer it smooth.)

Once cool enough to handle, roll into balls and coat in dried coconut, chopped nuts, sesame seeds, or powdered sugar.