• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Houston - where do you go for steak

danhole

I have been asking around and am curious about the egullet crowd. If you had extra money for a splurge, where would you go for a really great steak, and why would you choose that particular restaurant? Not saying I will go, just getting a feel for upscale steakhouses in Houston, beyond the Saltgrass, Outback mediocre type steaks.

Red meat is not bad for you. Fuzzy green meat is bad for you.

I have been asking around and am curious about the egullet crowd. If you had extra money for a splurge, where would you go for a really great steak, and why would you choose that particular restaurant? Not saying I will go, just getting a feel for upscale steakhouses in Houston, beyond the Saltgrass, Outback mediocre type steaks.

Capital Grill on Westhiemer--good steaks, reasonable wines. Try the crabcakes.

Pappas--great steaks, wines are outrageous.

Mortons-Galleria area- good balance.

I love wine with my steak--I would go to Capital Grill--the spinach, potatoes, and mushrooms go well--crabcake early. Enjoy. Houston is a great resteraunt town!! :biggrin::cool:

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

Capital Grill on Westhiemer--good steaks, reasonable wines. Try the crabcakes.

Pappas--great steaks, wines are outrageous.

Mortons-Galleria area- good balance.

I love wine with my steak--I would go to Capital Grill--the spinach, potatoes, and mushrooms go well--crabcake early. Enjoy. Houston is a great resteraunt town!! :biggrin::cool:

Thanks for responding Bill! Amazing how quite this forum is. My husband really has his heart set on Capital Grille so we have reservation for Sun evening. I know the steaks are choice and not prime, but I really want the dry aged. I am thinking the delmonico, or the porterhouse. And I really want to try the truffle parmesan fries. I'd like to have the steak tartare, but I think that might be meat overkill, and I'm not that fond of crabcake. Tried it a couple times, and just haven't really taken a shine to them. Next time we can splurge I think we will try Smith & Wollensky's. I'll try to report back about Capital.

Dani

I'd say disgusting how quiet this forum is :angry: . Unfortunately it's not surprising, though.

Sorry I don't have anything to contribute Dani. When I had an expense account I feasted on steak and prime rib regularly at the best places in town with clients, consultants and staff because that's where they wanted to go but that was years ago. When I want to splurge using my own nickels and dimes I prefer something other. For a good steak, I buy something at CM and fix it at home.

Enjoy your meal. I'll look forward to reading your report.

Bruce

Edited by brucesw (log)

I have not reported back about Capital Grille because there were high point and low points. The next morning we did get in touch with them and got a response by early afternoon, with a personal promise by the managing partner (?) that he would make this right for us, and expressed dismay at our displeasure. So until I find out exactly what that really means, I am not going to get into the particulars. I will say that the service was excellent and our server Jill could not have been better. Also, the delmonico is a Prime cut - I think the only one they serve.

I'll let you know more later. We have to decide if we are going to give it one more try or not.

Thanks

Dani

We like Pappas Brothers for splurge steaks, however Churrascos is pretty good too. My husband got a terrific buffalo steak at Marks, though they don't specialize in steaks.

Stop Family Violence

I recently went to Killen's Steakhouse in Pearland and it was fabulous. It looks small from the outside but it seats a surprising number of people. The menu is mouthwatering, if you're a steak kind of person. They have wet age, dry age, and even Kobe (both Texas raised and some from Japan if you order about 2 weeks ahead of time). When I went I ordered a black and blue dry age 16 oz Ribeye which was amazing. It was perfectly done and even though I couldn't finish it, it was just as delicious the next morning cold. :biggrin: That's a good steak. They also have sides that are to die for, namely the creamed corn which was featured in Food and Wine. And the macaroni and cheese is probably more cream than cheese. Delicious!

If you decide to go out again, I recommend you try it.

• 4 weeks later...

I think Smith & Wollensky, or at least the bar downstairs, is nothing but a crowded pick-up joint. :huh:

My preferred steakhouse is Pappas Bros. It has good, expensive steaks and a soothing '40s ambience.

Strip House downtown- great steaks, pricey, expensive wine list

Pappas - same as above, better wine list

Lynn's on Dairy Ashford- a hike from downtown but worth it and wonderful, reasonable wine list esp for wines with bottle age

Non steakhouse steaks

Catalan ribeye + fabulous wine list

Cafe Rabelais - ribeye with shallots and mustard - wow

Churraso's for a churrasco steak (tenderloin)

• 3 months later...

Just have to add - while Pappas' Bros. is my favorite splurge, I get a serious craving for the stuffed barbecued ribeye from the Crazy Cajun in Seabrook (aka the Happy Cajun in Deer Park). Grilled over a charcoal pit and stuffed with crawfish stuffing - yum!

One of my old standbys is Sullivan's - pretty good steaks, only moderately pricey, fun, clubby atmosphere.

• 1 month later...

Danhole,

Please let us know how things worked out with the Capitol. It'd be a shame to be left hanging.

I've had some good steaks there, and some...challenging meals. But I think it's fair to the restaurant to clear up how they've responded.

cheers,

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to leave you hanging Peter! Here it is:

UPDATE:

We went back to Capital Grill on Memorial Day. We had the $100 worth of credit, so what's to lose? Well I am happy to say that it was 150% better than the first time we went. Of course they did know that we had complained so I think they took special care of us, but regardless it was great. Our waiter, Jason, made suggestions here and there. I didn't want the big wedge salad, even though it was good but too big, so he steered me to a salad of field greens with grape tomatoes and added the bacon and blue cheese to that. We were tempted to try some different steaks and I was looking at the Kona steak with shallot butter. In the end we decided to get the same as before, but Jason added maitre 'd butter on top of it, which made a big difference, and the steaks were cooked perfectly. Totally different for first time. He also brought me some of the shallot butter to try - so tasty! I could have eaten it like soup. I got a half portion of au gratin potatoes, which were delicious, and my DH got the Sam's potatoes again. At the end of the meal, since it had been my birthday a couple days before, Jason brought us a complimentary dessert of creme brulee, with a lit candle on the side of the plate. It was very good, too. Now we will go back and I am going to get that Kona steak and ask for Jason to be our waiter!