• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good restaurants in Cannes

George Baugh

Can anyone recommend a good restaurant in Cannes? Next week, I will be staying at the Martinez, so La Palme d'Or is a possibility.  I've eaten at La Mère Besson and don't see a reason to go back there.

Just found out La Palme d'Or will be closed when I am there (Feb 19-22).

Can anyone recommend a good restaurant in Cannes? Next week, I will be staying at the Martinez, so La Palme d'Or is a possibility.  I've eaten at La Mère Besson and don't see a reason to go back there.

Just found out La Palme d'Or will be closed when I am there (Feb 19-22).

Two suggestions:

Astoux et Brun

5 Rue Louis Blanc

(off Le Suquet)

Very long-established seafood restaurant, awesome plateau des fruites de mer (excuse my French), scruffy decor, "brisk" service to put it kindly, good value. Actually looks onto Le Suquet, by the bandstand - don't confuse it with Astoux, a few doors along, which is ok but not as good.

Jade

24 Rue Pasteur

(off La Croisette, just after the Martinez if memory serves)

04 93 94 33 49

Really good family-run Vietnamese place.

I haven't been to Cannes since we closed Neat in 2002, but a friend who goes there a lot tells me Astoux et Brun is still excellent. He also says you can't book there - just turn up and queue if necessary.

I can't help but wonder if you've done a search here on eG for previous threads on the area. There is an absolute marvel of good suggestions.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I can't help but wonder if you've done a search here on eG for previous threads on the area.  There is an absolute marvel of good suggestions.

Took your suggestion and did a search. All I got was the thread I started. What is the right way to do a search? I entered 'cannes restaurants' in the search box.

Well..

As for the 'right way to do a search,' I'll get back to you when I've got more time.

For now, I did the search and here are the results. Topics with "cannes" in the title:

Cannes

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

• 2 weeks later...

You are lucky that the Palme d'Or will be closed. It is a high-priced tourist trap. You should consider going to Tétou, which is a short cab or train ride away in Golfe Juan. But only go if everyone in your party will have bouillabaisse. Have the Martinez concierge reserve for you.

Michael

www.epicures.wordpress.com