• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coffee buttercream for mocha cake

hansjoakim

Hi all,

This is me --> :unsure:

I'm a bread baker taking my first baby steps in the pastry world, so I hope you can help me out! I have a recipe for a mocha cake that I'd like to try out. The recipe calls for coffee buttercream, where coffee flavor comes from using 3-4% (in baker's percentages) coffee extract. I haven't been able to obtain any coffee extract, so I was wondering if I can simply replace it by some instant coffee or espresso powder dissolved in water? What about the amount? Are there any extract <--> coffee powder conversions I should be aware of?

Silly question, I'm sure, but thanks in advance for any help! :)

I have had luck in the past using instant coffee or espresso that has been dissolved in the least amount of water possible. Espresso does give a stronger flavor. I can't give exact proportions as it varies from brand to brand. Trial and error will be your guide.

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

I have had luck in the past using instant coffee or espresso that has been dissolved in the least amount of water possible. Espresso does give a stronger flavor. I can't give exact proportions as it varies from brand to brand. Trial and error will be your guide.

Dan

Thanks so much, Dan! I'm thinking a couple of teaspoons instant coffee or espresso dissolved in a tablespoon of water. :smile:

You want the espresso/water mixture to be a bit on the paste-y side....you don't want to add too much actual liquid to the buttercream.

You can also add a splash of Kahlua to the mixture (ssshhh.....just don't tell the kiddies). :wink:

Edited by onetoughcookie (log)

www.onetoughcookienyc.com

I just made some a couple days ago and had to try twice. I followed one author who suggested adding 2 oz of cold espresso. That may have worked but I also added Kahlua and I think it ended up being too much liquid. It broke and I couldn't get it back together.

Second method was 2 Tb instant espresso mixed with 1 tsp hot water. This turns into a paste and I just added it a teaspoon at a time until I thought it was right. I also added about 2 tsp vanilla to take the bitter edge off. I was pleased with the result and it well recieved by the customer.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I just made some a couple days ago and had to try twice. I followed one author who suggested adding 2 oz of cold espresso. That may have worked but I also added Kahlua and I think it ended up being too much liquid. It broke and I couldn't get it back together.

Second method was 2 Tb instant espresso mixed with 1 tsp hot water. This turns into a paste and I just added it a teaspoon at a time until I thought it was right. I also added about 2 tsp vanilla to take the bitter edge off. I was pleased with the result and it well recieved by the customer.

Awesome! Thanks so much. I'll have a crack at it sometime tomorrow hopefully. :)

King Arthur Flour sells a product Espresso Powder that is made specifically for inclusion in baked goods, frosting, candies and etc.

I have been using it for a couple of years and it works beautifully and there is no guesswork about dilution and so on.

Otherwise, you would be best served by steeping freshly ground espresso coffee in brandy, reducing it over low heat and straining the solids out to get a concentrated extract that will combine well with buttercream.

That's what we did in my mom's bakery some 50 years ago and it worked well.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

a little powdered sugar often brings buttercream back from breaking

Thanks so much for the suggestion Stephanie! I still have the broken buttercream in the freezer in hopes I would find a solution. I'll give it a try.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden