• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Heading down to Minneapolis this weekend

Ariel Schor

My brother and I will be in town from the 15th-20th of February, mainly to check out the restaurant scene and art museums. We have done some research and have narrowed down our restaurant choices to:

La Belle Vie

Alma

Little Szechuan

112 Eatery

Saffron

Hell's Kitchen

Town Talk Diner

Solera

Pho Tau Bay

Any other suggestions? Also looking for somewhere to find good local cheeses.

You're from Winnipeg, right? Assuming you are, and with that in mind. . .

In all the times I've been to MSP, I've never made it to any of those places. I've always wanted to try Hell's Kitchen, but Al's Breakfast keeps pulling me back. Last summer in a 5-day period, I ate at Al's twice--would have been three times but the line was too long the third time (standing in line at Al's is part of the experience, but we were headed back home and I couldn't wait). During the week you don't have to wait so long, but Thurs-Sun, expect a long wait unless you're there as soon as they open (on Sundays, be there half an hour earlier.

My point being, I'd go to Al's instead of Hell's Kitchen. Eggs Benedict, hash browns, and a short short wally blue from Al's is the perfect breakfast, with real maple syrup, of course (you can even get a little order of it). I love diners, and I've never been able to find one that I like as much as Al's (not even Lou Mitchell's in Chicago). Scrambled egg dishes and omelets aren't anything special there, though.

I'd strongly recommend Bangkok Thai Deli on University. It's a lot like the food you'll actually get in Thailand (and just as spicy). If you're lucky, they'll have haw mok. They do it differently from what I'm used to, but it's oh so good. Siam Thai in the 'Peg is good, but they've had to make a lot of concessions because of the customer-base. Bangkok Thai Deli customers are mostly Hmong or Thai, so the food is much more like "back home".

Although I've not been to Pho Tau Bay, I've heard if you've had good Vietnamese food before, PTB is just OK, so I'd skip it. You can get really good Vietnamese food in Winnipeg, so why waste a meal in MSP on that? There are so many other cuisines in MSP you can try that get the short shrift in Winnipeg.

Go for Mexican unless it's not the kind of food you like. You will never have Mexican in Winnipeg as good as what you can get in MSP. Hit the food court at Mercado Central (or walk around the area--many Mexican places around there), or drive down to El Burrito Mercado (far, but it's good and the grocery store is quite large). You can even go to the Midtown Global Market food court and get good Mexican there.

Also try to get to one of the Middle Eastern places--again, a cuisine Winnipeg sorely lacks. Da Afghan is out of the way, but when we were there several years ago, the food was quite good. There's also a branch of Holy Land at Midtown Global Market. I don't think the food there is as good as at the original location (which is also in a good area for Mexican, etc.), but it's still better than what you'll get in Winnipeg.

I wanted to try Big Daddy's barbecue (open Friday and Saturday only), but we couldn't get there last summer. No good barbecue in Winnipeg (that place in St. B sucks), so I'd try one of the other bbq places in MSP (Brickhouse, for example) if Big Daddy's isn't open.

112 Eatery, Alma, Solera, and La Belle Vie have been on my list forever (we go to MSP almost every summer), and one day, we'll actually go to one of them.

Oh, I'd also search out some good Neapolitan-style pizza. Went to Pizza Nea last summer, and it was a better example of that style than Pizzeria Gusto in Winnipeg, but still not great. Punch is next on my list.

I'd also go to some of the Thai or Hmong markets. They have a much better selection than in Winnipeg, and the prices are a fraction of what you'd pay. We always pick up a lot of Thai eggplants and other Asian vegetables to bring back to Winnipeg. We usually go to the farmer's markets (they are really awesome, and they put Winnipeg's markets to shame), but they'll be closed.

The only place I can think of for cheese is Surdyk's. If you're in the area, anyway, Kramarczuk's (sp?) for sausages and other assorted mostly Eastern European goodies is just a block or two away (there's also a Punch across one street, and a Pizza Nea across the other). We like to get sausage from them, too (their andouille is particularly good, though I've never had "real" Cajun adouille).

Bradstreet Crafthouse just opened recently and I've only read good things about it so far. Excellent cocktails and small plates. If you like cocktails, it's another thing that's missing in Winnipeg, so it would be a good opportunity to try some good ones. It's also on my list if we go to MSP next summer.

That's what I'd do (and that's what I usually do). We usually stay in the UofM area, but drive all over the place to eat. That's really the only reason we go to MSP.

Edited by prasantrin (log)

To each his or her own, but I would NOT miss at least one breakfast or brunch at Hell's Kitchen -- unusual atmosphere and great food with an edge.

If you do seek classic diner food (though your list doesn't hint of such), make a trip to the venerable landmark, Mickey's Diner in St. Paul.

To each his or her own, but I would NOT miss at least one breakfast or brunch at Hell's Kitchen -- unusual atmosphere and great food with an edge.

If you do seek classic diner food (though your list doesn't hint of such), make a trip to the venerable landmark, Mickey's Diner in St. Paul.

Being from St. Paul I would not recommend Mickey's for the food. The atmosphere and location are great but you can get better food elsewhere.

I just got back from Minneapolis, and La Belle Vie was excellent! I also thoroughly enjoyed Saffron, and you really should go to the Bradstreet Crafthouse in the Graves Hotel for cocktails. Their small plates are tasty, too, but the cocktails are where it's at... :cool:

I'm not making great claims for Mickey's food, but it is an experience!

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of Mickey's I haven't been there in a few years. My wife will not eat there. It is a bit overpriced for the quality. I guess you are paying for the experience.

I am surprised to hear of folks traveling to my area for the dining. I do not partake of enogh of the fine restaurants around here. With two kids under ten fast food and chain fare is more our speed lately.

One of our new favorites is an Italian place called D'Avita near 36 and McKnight in North St. Paul.

Another good one is La Trattoria Davinci in St. Paul.

Another St. Paul landmark is Cossetta's near the Excel Energy Center in St. Paul. They have great cafeteria style Italian and a nice deli.

Edited by Hard H2O (log)

My brother and I will be in town from the 15th-20th of February, mainly to check out the restaurant scene and art museums. We have done some research and have narrowed down our restaurant choices to:

La Belle Vie

Alma

Little Szechuan

112 Eatery

Saffron

Hell's Kitchen

Town Talk Diner

Solera

Pho Tau Bay

I can personally recommend 112 eatery, La Belle Vie, Alma, and Solera - in that order, more or less.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

La Belle Vie

Alma

Little Szechuan

112 Eatery

Saffron

Hell's Kitchen

Town Talk Diner

Solera

Pho Tau Bay

La Belle Vie, Alma, 112 Eatery and Saffron are definites.

In fine dining, Fugaise deserves to be on your list. Porter & Frye as well.

Comparing Hell's Kitchen and Al's Breakfast makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Aside from serving breakfast, there is no similarity. And Mickey's is one of the last places on the face of the earth that should be mentioned on eGullet. The food sucks.

Go to Hell's Kitchen AND go to Al's.

Solera doesn't do much for me. I would send you to Barrio instead.

Town Talk Diner is fine. Some of the original guys from TTD opened The Strip Club on the east edge of downtown St. Paul. I like what they do there better than Town Talk. It's much more than just steak and I would recommend it -- it's worth the trip over to St. Paul.

I enjoy Little Szechuan. A lot of people feel that Tea House 2 in the same area is better for Szechuan.

And, yes, if you're into mixology, Bradstreet Crafthouse is probably a place you want to stop.

La Belle Vie

Alma

Little Szechuan

112 Eatery

Saffron

Hell's Kitchen

Town Talk Diner

Solera

Pho Tau Bay

La Belle Vie, Alma, 112 Eatery and Saffron are definites.

I'm making a point to put Saffron on my list the next time I venture that way. I regret not having made time for it on my last trip.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

And Mickey's is one of the last places on the face of the earth that should be mentioned on eGullet.  The food sucks.

It is a neat place for a photo op. I often disagree with food critics. Where does the food channel head to when they need something that looks good on TV? Mickey's. Who cares i the food is subpar and it is over priced.

Red's Savoy is supposed to be the best pizza in the Twin Cities. I hated it. It is like they get so caught up in the divyness of a place and like it when the waitstaff is surly and rude.

I wish everyone well that comes to my town to visit. Don't forget the East side of th river.

I am surprised to hear of folks traveling to my area for the dining. I do not partake of enogh of the fine restaurants around here. With two kids under ten fast food and chain fare is more our speed lately.

We go almost every summer for at least a few days, mostly to eat the foods we can't get in Winnipeg (or that are not well done in Winnipeg). We never get to the fine dining places on our list, though, mostly because we're usually too full from the large portions at Mexican and Middle Eastern places to partake. 112 Eatery was on our "must do" list last year, but after the Heartland Gathering, we were too "eated out" to do anything but our usuals.

Minneapolis is a great eating city, but there are certain foods which Winnipeg still does better (dim sum, Cantonese Chinese, Eastern European, etc.).

Thank you all for the prompt replies! I feel like i'm going to be spending a few "happy hours" at barrio. Al's breakfast goes on the list (Though i'll skip on the eggs benedict...i've cooked thousands of them, and sitting down to a pair is not the same) as do Bradstreet Craft house and the mexican market.

And Mickey's is one of the last places on the face of the earth that should be mentioned on eGullet.  The food sucks.

It is a neat place for a photo op. I often disagree with food critics. Where does the food channel head to when they need something that looks good on TV? Mickey's. Who cares i the food is subpar and it is over priced.

This is why I don't take my restaurant recommendations from the Food Network.

I think of eGullet as a place where food comes first.

This is why I don't take my restaurant recommendations from the Food Network.

I think of eGullet as a place where food comes first.

They have had quite a few Twin Cities restaurants on their various shows. It seems like the ones that they show that I have been to I do not like. They seem to like places with kitsch, history, looks, a story, flash... The food is secondary. f you make a huge 10 pound burger and give away a t-shirt if you can devour it you are in.

Two other places to mention:

The International Hmong Market (217 Como Ave, St Paul, MN 55103). It's a market and food court, and the food is great. I think you'll find things here to eat you won't find elsewhere. If you want more Asian suggestions, post and I'll reply. You could also hit the Como Park Conservatory while your at it -- I'm not sure what the feature is now, but it's a beautiful spot.

You mentioned cheese. Surdyk's is a good cheese shop, but if you want to go more local, there's the St. Paul Farmers' Market, or if you head to the Grand Ave. (St. Paul) area, visit the Golden Fig. Everything is local, and really wonderful. And, in a very fun area of the Twin Cities.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Two other places to mention:

The International Hmong Market (217 Como Ave, St Paul, MN 55103).  It's a market and food court, and the food is great.  I think you'll find things here to eat you won't find elsewhere.  If you want more Asian suggestions, post and I'll reply.  You could also hit the Como Park Conservatory while your at it -- I'm not sure what the feature is now, but it's a beautiful spot.

You mentioned cheese.  Surdyk's is a good cheese shop, but if you want to go more local, there's the St. Paul Farmers' Market, or if you head to the Grand Ave. (St. Paul) area, visit the Golden Fig.  Everything is local, and really wonderful.  And, in a very fun area of the Twin Cities.

I thought of the International Hmong Market, too, but I read it was only open June to October or something like that. Is it open all year round?

I've been to Golden Fig. I was kind of disappointed, but it's in the same area as a Penzey's, Biblot, and other interesting stores, so I always drop by to see if they have anything new.

Technically still in the Orient, I've also been to Mediterranian Cruise Cafe (under the umbrella of "Middle Eastern". I can't remember where the owners are really from, but I think it's Lebanon). It was the first place I ever had toum, which I love.

I've also been to Caspian Bistro, a Persian place. They've even got tahdig if you ask the right person (the night we went, we were first told they didn't have it, then we mentioned something about it to another staff member, and she told us some of the staff just say they don't have it because the kitchen doesn't want to make it). It was quite good.

I've heard good things about Khyber Pass (Afghan), and one of the staff at Caspian Bistro told us to go to Emily's for Lebanese. It's also a place that's been on my list for years, but we haven't yet made it there.

Emily's Lebanese Deli is tiny -- maybe 20 seats -- and very informal. The food is homestyle Lebanese; the tabbouleh is particularly wonderful and the hummus very creamy. The only thing I wouldn't recommend is the custard (overcooked). Call for hours before you go; I think they are closed on Tuesdays or some other time that is unexpected.

I forgot before. . .

I liked Maria's Cafe for breakfast. It's a bit out of the way, but her plantains (if you can get them) are quite good, and it's hard to get good plantains in Winnipeg. The owner is Colombian, so if you go at dinner you can get more of a taste of Colombian food. I've only been for breakfast and lunch, though, so I can't comment on the rest of the food.

Next door or so to Maria's is a store specializing in Native American crafts and such. They sell the best wild rice I've had--much better than the stuff in Winnipeg.

La Belle Vie

Alma

Little Szechuan

112 Eatery

Saffron

Hell's Kitchen

Town Talk Diner

Solera

Pho Tau Bay

That is great list. La belle vie is a must as well as 112 eatery(one of my favs) restaurant Alma is also great. Hells Kitchen is a completely different experience than Al's breakfast not saying that Al's isn't great but if I want a great eggs benedict I would rather go to Hells Kitchen over Al's any day. Saffron is another one of my favorites, Town talk diner is a must, Pho Tau bay is deffently a must try for cheap eats(forget all the negetive things you might have heard) I would avoid solera if I were you it's way over priced and the food isn't that good. Another great place that you might want to check out is Chino Latino in uptown it has a fun atmos phere and great food and cocktails. If you eat sushi Fujia is awesome, for other great Mexican eats I would check out El mason. The mercado central is ok if your want a quick snack, but it's nothing special. Another Mexican place that's off the beaten path is El Gordos on Lake street awesome authentic food and super cheap. I hope some of these recamendations help. :biggrin:

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast"

Oscar Wilde

Thanks Chefb28 for your suggestions. I'm sure we will try to go to as many places as our wallets can handle. We're going to make all our rezzos tomorrow. As a professional cook I find no better way to spend time off than at a different city's restaurants.

Nobody answered your question on Cosmos and Heartland. Both are excellent restaurants.

I also notice very little on cheeses. I would enthusiastically send you to Premier Cheese Market in Edina (50th and France neighborhood).

Unsolicited advice (if you're looking for these foods) -- get to the intersection of Marshall Avenue and Cleveland Avenue in St. Paul (only a few miles from downtown Mpls) and stop in Legacy Chocolates and Izzy's Ice Cream, which are a few doors apart.

Edited by MSPD (log)