• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whole striped bass

Jesse A

I just picked up 3 whole striped bass, about 1 1/3 lbs each. I'm planning on stuffing or topping them with a mixture of toasted almonds, black olives, orange zest, fennel and saffron.

So, what's the best cooking method for these fish? Roasted? At what temp, and should I wrap them in foil to keep moist or leave them uncovered to crisp the skin?

Should I stuff them w/ the aromatics, or chop/mix them with olive oil to make a sauce to spoon on after cooking? Cook the fennel first or leave it raw?

In old camping style, I would recommend a simple corn meal crust and then either pan fry in your best cast iron, or barbeque them. Corn on the cob, biscuits, and maybe some mashed potatoes.

2 bits.

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.