• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Albert Adrià leaves elBulli.

pedro

According to El Periódico, the responsible of R&D at elBulli and Ferrán Adrià's brother, Albert Adrià, is leaving elBulli and fine dining. Quite a blow indeed.

He's also the owner of Inopia, a place devoted to tapas in BCN.

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

Wow, that is huge news. It sounds like the pressures of constantly having to be creative have caught up with him. His contributions to the Vanguard will certainly be missed. It will be interesting to see how elBulli evolve without him.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

If anyone is interested in an English translation of the interview, PM me.

Btw, kudos to Pau Arenós for a great interview.

Edited by pedro (log)

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

I received permission from Pau Arenos to post the facsimile of the original Spanish article (only available in print) on my blog along with an English translation done primarily by Pedro Espinosa with a little assistance from myself.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

John - thanks for the article from El Periódico, which I didn't see before I read your blog post yesterday. It makes very interesting reading, though it still doesn't sound like Albert is entirely sure about the future. I'd kinda figured that everyone knew that it was the beginning of the end for El Bulli. Things like the change of timetable, Ferran's work at Alicia and travels abroad gave plenty of hints.

I'd give good money (if I had any) to know what and where the next El Bulli will be. We all want to be ahead of the game as we progress our careers.

Talking about El Bulli's demise may be somewhat premature. Ferran badly wanted to have an autumn to work with so he could serve a seasonal menu, a luxury he hasn't had over the many years since El Bulli went to the six-months format - and the fall is probably the greatest gastronomic season in Europe. Of course we can all surmise that he'll have a great run this year, with all sorts of twists and finds around game and fowl, and then call it quits for good. But I personally doubt it.

Victor de la Serna

elmundovino

According to the interview, it appears that elBulli will run until 20112 at least, barring some other significant changes. Albert's departure is certainly significant. There is no doubt that it will have an effect on the restaurant, though I doubt that anyone can really predict what that will be at this point. Albert is incredibly talented, but then elBulli is chock full of incredibly talented people. If any place can survive the loss of someone like Albert, it will be elBulli, at least so long as Ferran is around.

Twitter - @docsconz

I can only imagine that this will put even more pressure on the reservation process over the next few years that may be mitigated only by the economic climate.

Twitter - @docsconz

According to the interview, it appears that elBulli will run until 20112 at least...

That is a very long time in the future, has Ferran discovered how to live forever? :smile:

I'm guessing that you meant to say "2011" or "2012"?

According to the interview, it appears that elBulli will run until 20112 at least...

That is a very long time in the future, has Ferran discovered how to live forever? :smile:

I'm guessing that you meant to say "2011" or "2012"?

:wacko: Yes, 2012, though if Ferran could find a way to live forever, I could see it lasting that long! :raz:

Edited by docsconz (log)

Twitter - @docsconz

Doc, I honestly think that the economic climate will have no effect whatsoever on El Bulli`s business. They have such an incredibly huge overflow of people that yearn for reservations that no recession, no matter how strong, would ever make that place easy to eat at!

Especially now that we all know it`ll only be around for 3 more yrs...

Alexandra Forbes

Brazilian food and travel writer, @aleforbes on Twitter

Official Website

Doc, I honestly think that the economic climate will have no effect whatsoever on El Bulli`s business. They have such an incredibly huge overflow of people that yearn for reservations that no recession, no matter how strong, would ever make that place easy to eat at!

Especially now that we all know it`ll only be around for 3 more yrs...

I agree with you Alex, although that is the one thing that I can see easing that pressure somewhat. I don't think that there is any concern that elBulli will be underbooked. :laugh:

Twitter - @docsconz