• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Frozen meals in a bag

HawkeyeFoodie

I got the idea to freeze everything separately like that from Top Chef and meals in a bag. I travel a lot for work and that means a lot of eating out and not a lot of time to shop. What I'd like is some more ideas for meals like this so I can make them on a weekend and pull them out when I get home late. I've done this quite a bit for my grandma, but have kept it VERY basic. Does anyone have any great ideas/recipes for meals? Any good tips (what's good to freeze, what's bad)? Any good experience in doing this? I saw a couple of threads about frozen dinners, but nothing about making meals in a bag.

Thanks in advance!

Scott

gallery_59779_5949_11340.jpg

I freeze meals for my dad. In addition to the obvious - soups, stews, braises, casseroles (like lasagna), it's a huge help for Dad if I freeze small portions of meats. He likes ham, so I cook our family's favorite recipe and then cut it into filets and freeze them. He can defrost one and use it for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Seems to work well.

One thing I'm doing for him is making up a big pot of beef stew, and then taking out some for the baggies before I add the potatoes. I've found that reheating frozen potatoes doesn't work well at all. So he'll take out the bag of stew and heat it up. Then cut up one potato and cook it in the microwave in a little of the stew broth.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I got the idea to freeze everything separately like that from Top Chef and meals in a bag.... I saw a couple of threads about frozen dinners, but nothing about making meals in a bag.

Could you please explain what the major difference, to you, is between the two?

We quite often freeze cooked proteins (chicken, roast meats) in single portions. I use bags for those.

I also freeze single portions of pasta (ravioli, tortellini, fresh egg noodles), various sauces, and pesto.

Cleaned and prepped vegetables can be blanched and shocked, then frozen on a tray before bagging, so that you can just break off as much as you need.

Karen Dar Woon