• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Agar-set "pudding" sauce questions

LoneSavant

In reading through Achatz' new cookbook, im really curious to try his technique of agar-set sauces, reblended to a thicker consistancy. However, in my practical use as a pastry chef, I'm only in once or twice a week to prep for the weekend's service. Does anyone have experience as to how long these "puddings" keep? I need it to last at least 4-5 days, I'm just worrying about the texture breaking down...

Torren O'Haire - Private Chef, FMSC Tablemaster, Culinary Scholar

"life is a combination of magic and pasta"

-F. Fellini

"We should never lose sight of a beautifully conceived meal."

-J. Child

agar weeping is not that big a deal when you have blended it into a sauce (we call them fluid gels at my restaurant) we try to make them in batches where they will be used within a couple days, but have kept them for a week or more if a particular dish isn't being ordered as much as expected. Since the agar is in a fluid/gel state any syneresis can be taken care of by simply mixing the liquid back in. You have to worry more about weeping when you are keeping the agar gel whole such as a hot gelee type aplication, and yes, LBG does prevent weeping.