• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocoa Powder

Shel_B

If you have been getting satisfactory results with the Cacao Barry Extra Brute then any Dutched cocoa powder should give you the same results.

A "natural" cocoa powder will not have the intense flavor or the deep color in the final result.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Thank you for your responses :).

My chocolate cake recipe calls for natural, but I've always just added an acid to my dutch processed since it was what I prefer to have on hand. I've never been able to find dutch processed at the store.

I just called both Aj's & Whole Food stores and I have the choice of Scharffen Berger, Hershey's, & Ghirardelli. They're all naturally processed.

Do any of you have a preference or experience w/ Ghiardelli's or Scharffen Berger cocoa powder? Or are natural cocoa powders similar across the board (in which case I'll go to my local grocer & pick up Hershey's :P)?

I just called both Aj's & Whole Food stores and I have the choice of Scharffen Berger, Hershey's, & Ghirardelli. They're all naturally processed.

That's funny--around here Whole Foods usually has Valrhona and Droste. In fact, I recently got some Valrhona cocoa powder on sale for like $10/lb. I would say that Ghirardelli is definitely preferable to the Hershey's. I've never used the SB cocoa powder, so I can't say how it compares.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

REALLY?! It may be worth calling the other two Whole Foods in town to see if the product they carry varies from store to store in my area... All may not be lost :). I also called my local Williams Sonoma-- they only carried the SF tin.

I will certainly take the advice of trying out the SF or Ghirardelli if the other Whole Foods also disappoint. Thanks again for the help!

• 3 months later...

Has anyone ever tried Rademaker Cocoa? It's Dutch-processed. I usually buy Bensdorp and Double Dutch Dark (from King Arthur Flour), but used to buy Droste as a substitute for the Bensdorp when I ran out and needed it in a pinch. Wegmans now carries only Rademaker, also from Holland, but I have no idea how it tastes. I can't seem to find one independent review anywhere. I'm baking a large quantity of whoopie pies on Wednesday and don't want to run out. I also don't want to have to use the Hershey's Special Dark I keep on hand in a pinch, although it's not terrible.

Whaddya think? Or is all this fretting overkill for whoopie pies?

I've used Rademaker Cocoa as well as all the King Arthur varieties.

Rademaker has been producing cocoa (and a lot of other cacao products) longer than any other processor in Holland.

I think it is better than Droste, it is less subject to clumping and is very good in baking as well as for drinking.

My local health food store began carrying it about a year ago and specifically because some patrons had asked for a Kosher Certified cocoa and the distributor could deliver this brand quicker than any other.

They were offering a coupon for it so I tried a box and liked it and have since purchased more.

I just checked in the pantry and in addition to the Rademaker Cocoa, I have several containers of different cocoa powders, including King Arthur's Black cocoa, Double Dutch, Callebaut "baking" cocoa powder in a 2 pound bag, Valrhona, Scharffen Berger Natural, Guittard's "drinking chocolate", an unopened canister of Godiva's Dark, Barry Extra-Dark, and an unopened bag of Frontier Dutch-process, certified organic and Fair Trade, ordered from Amazon just last month.

I haven't tried the Frontier yet, but have been very pleased with their other products, all ordered from Amazon, especially the decorticated cardamom seeds and the roasted ground chili pepper powder.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

My new favorite Dutched cocoa powder is El Rey. It's superb - lots and lots of depth. Although, I really like Droste and Callebaut (not wild about Pernigotti, Penzey's, or Cacao Barry, Callebaut's French division), this one beats them all.

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

I think the SB cocoa is natural - the container I have is - it's okay but it doesn't have quite the depth of flavor that I like in a cocoa that I use for baking.

I'm rather picky and I like the Dutched process cocoa and the darker cocoa - I often use a blend of King Arthur's black cocoa and double Dutch.

I found another container of cocoa - Green & Black brand. I've used most of it and get a total blank when I try to recall what I made with it. It's dated 02/09 so it is now a year since I bought it but it still has great aroma.

Edited by andiesenji (log)