• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocoa Powder

Shel_B

Hi,

I am looking for a very high qualty, rich, cocoa powder to use for baking, sauce making, and hot chocolate drinks. Any tried and true suggestions? I really want to move up from Hersheys-Ghiradeli powders. I've tried Dagoba, and it was OK.

... Shel

I love Callebaut cocoa. It isn't the most available, but I find it is rich and flavorful, not harsh, with a wonderful chocolate taste. You can buy it online in 11 pound or 2.2 pound bags:

http://www.chocolatesource.com/products/de...=529&section=10

http://www.chocolatesource.com/products/de...1071&section=10

Some distributors carry it, also.

It is Dutch-processed.

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

I like the valrhona Rob recommended. I also like the callebaut. They're not really comparable because they're not really the same. The valrhona is dark, powerful stuff. The callebaut is lighter both in color and taste. I would keep both on hand at work if cost wasn't a factor. It is, so I use callebaut at work. I'm sure there are many other great cocoa powders out there, I haven't really experimented much in that area. I found something I was happy with within the constraints of cost and stuck with it.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

And i like Droste. From Holland.

Ditto on Droste - it's my favorite Dutch Processed. Also like Callebaut. Wasn't as impressed with Pernigotti - the scent was really deep and strong, but the taste didn't match it. My favorite natural cocoa is Scharffen Berger.

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

I like the Valrhona, too. Excellent, deep rich chocolaty taste esp. in sorbet.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I really like Pernigotti and have been out for awhile. In a pinch, Green and Black's Fair Trade was good too.

Here's a thread on Pernigotti.

It's become my favorite. I like it more than Valrhonna (though I use valrhonna chocolates more than any other). Haven't tried Droste.

Some posts in the thread refer to Pernigotti as natural, but I'm 99% sure it's dutch processed. Even though it doesn't say so on the package.

Notes from the underbelly

I really like Pernigotti and have been out for awhile. In a pinch, Green and Black's Fair Trade was good too.

Here's a thread on Pernigotti.

It's become my favorite. I like it more than Valrhonna (though I use valrhonna chocolates more than any other). Haven't tried Droste.

Some posts in the thread refer to Pernigotti as natural, but I'm 99% sure it's dutch processed. Even though it doesn't say so on the package.

Yeah, have been wanting to try it since I first saw that thread a few years ago... Sounds luscious.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

something to keep in mind is that there are HUNDREDS of different types of cocoa powders - literally! Only a few folks in the world make cocoa powder, but there are many who sell it - so if you're in a position to be able to contact the major processors directly and discuss with them what it is you're looking to do and the flavor profile you're after, your odds of finding something you like go up quite a bit. if you're going to the store and buying what's on the shelf, quite frankly you're likely to see a large degree of variability as many retialers will purchase whatever's the most cost effective at the time.

Basis what you included in your original post, you're probably going to be happiest with a 10/12 medium high alkalized cocoa powder.

I've been getting my natural process cocoa for the last few years from Dean's Beans - dirt cheap in bulk and organic, to boot!

http://www.deansbeans.com/coffee/BAKE.html

Enjoy!

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

Thanks for all the replies. From what I read here and elsewhere, there are a few cocoa powders that I'll try, including Pernigotti and Sharffen Berger (sp?)

Kind regards,

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

• 8 months later...

I have a chocolate cake to make this weekend and just used the last of my Cacao Barry Extra Brute and will not have time to order before I need to bake. Does anyone know of a decent non-alkalized/natural cocoa powder that can be picked up at somewhere like an AJ's fine foods or WholeFoods? How much emphasis would u put on the quality of cocoa powder? (is it commensurate w/ using a fine chocolate opposed to Hershey's?) Thank you in advance!

I have a chocolate cake to make this weekend and just used the last of my Cacao Barry Extra Brute and will not have time to order before I need to bake. Does anyone know of a decent non-alkalized/natural cocoa powder that can be picked up at somewhere like an AJ's fine foods or WholeFoods? How much emphasis would u put on the quality of cocoa powder? (is it commensurate w/ using a fine chocolate opposed to Hershey's?) Thank you in advance!

Cacao Barry is alkalized, so a Dutched cocoa, such as Droste would be a good substitute, as would Pernigotti, Valrhona, etc. Since Droste is widely available, that's probably your best bet. Pernigotti used to be sold at Williams-Sonoma, but unfortunately, they no longer carry it.

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.