• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chorizo Seco

Florida

I just returned from the local Mexican market. While I was there I noticed something I've never seen before - Chorizo Seco. This sausage is darker (almost the color of blood sausage) and drier (hence the "seco") than your average Chorizo, but it is clearly still a fresh sausage. It is in a natural casing and was refrigerated. It does not appear to be cured.

Can anyone give an explanation as to the difference? Is it a regional specialty? Do you cook it up the same as regular chorizo? Is it used in specific dishes?

I just returned from the local Mexican market.  While I was there I noticed something I've never seen before - Chorizo Seco. This sausage is darker (almost the color of blood sausage) and drier (hence the "seco") than your average Chorizo, but it is clearly still a fresh sausage.  It is in a natural casing and was refrigerated.  It does not appear to be cured.

Can anyone give an explanation as to the difference?  Is it a regional specialty? Do you cook it up the same as regular chorizo?  Is it used in specific dishes?

It makes a nice (and better) substitute for pepperoni on homemade pizzas. It would undoubtedly be good in a pot of frijoles.

Buen provecho, Panosmex