• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Purchasing Beer on Ebay

avant-garde

I've been able to find lots of nice rare craft beers on Ebay and I'm curious to know about your experiences (good OR bad) if you've purchased from there.

I generally trade for craft beers but have purchased on Ebay a couple of times for beers that were extremely hard to find. My experiences were both positive, although the beers were quite pricey.

I haven't, but my boyfriend has. Like BrentKulman, he trades for most, but has bought a few things online. By the way, if you're looking to use eBay expand on the amount of beer you've had but don't trade, you really should trade instead. Most of the stuff on eBay is overpriced, especially for current special releases with a lot of hype. The majority the special releases you'll find are sold by of people who got extra bottles over the limit (usually by going on line again or asking/paying someone to stand in line for them) and selling them on eBay at a markup.

What eBay is better for is to buy really special, rare/vintage stuff that you can't trade or buy elsewhere. The stuff my boyfriend has bought online has been mostly older vintages, like old De Dolle beers and Bass King's Ale (and some of their other commemorative beers). He seems pretty happy with what he's bought, and with the whole buying process, but he seems to shop around a lot and look for deals that seem worth it.

Edited by feedmec00kies (log)

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory