• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pork Kidneys

menuinprogress

So, in the midst of a batch of pig and lamb bits we're getting from our local farmer tomorrow, we're getting some pork kidneys.

We have all sorts of ideas for most of the various pig bits, but I'm a bit at a loss when it comes to the kidneys. I don't think I've ever had one.

Any suggestions?

Food Blog: Menu In Progress

Yum, I love pork kidneys. They have to be cleaned really really well, otherwise they have an unpleasant fragrance. Cut them in half and remove every bit of white "core" and the thin veins. This requires patience and there's quite a lot of waste. Then soak them in cold salted water (that's what we did) or cold milk (i've never used it but I heard you can) to help remove any odour. Rinse them, then cook.

I only know Chinese preparations. I've stir-fried them with sliced celery and seasoned with soy sauce and rice wine. I've also had them stir-fried with onions, bell peppers and black beans.

Edited by aprilmei (log)

I like them with sherry and mustard.

Clean the kidneys as above.

I soak them in milk for half an hour

Melt some butter or if you prefer put some olive oil in a pan.

Soften some onion, add the bacon, add the drained kidneys and cook over high heat, but don't overcook or they will be tough - just until they firm and change colour.

Deglaze with sherry, season and stir in some made mustard. Cream optional

Serve over rice or noodles or even toast.

Devilled kidneys are also good. Add Worcester sauce, cayenne, hot sauce etc http://www.milescollins.com/wordpress/devi...idneys-on-toast adds truffle butter or oil

Edited by jackal10 (log)

I forgot to say that when we cook kidneys Chinese-style, they're sliced into thin pieces then scored in a very fine criss-cross pattern which makes them curl up attractively when they're stir-fried.

Also, as with many other organ meats, kidneys shouldn't be over-cooked or they'll be tough. Oh, and they're good in hotpot and in a Shanghainese cold dish where they're soaked in rice wine.

Edited by aprilmei (log)

Good luck with the pork kidneys. I don't have any more to add . . . except that IMO the kidneys from a suckling pig are twice as nice as those from a big old hog.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Good luck with the pork kidneys. I don't have any more to add . . . except that IMO the kidneys from a suckling pig are twice as nice as those from a big old hog.

Yes, this is true - and they don't need to be cleaned. I've eaten suckling pig that still had the kidneys inside and you can eat the whole kidney - it didn't have the strong scent.