• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Resting fish

edwardsboi

Not to disagree with the concept of resting, it seems to me that fish meat is very different than all other meats.

Beef, chicken, pork, etc., if you keep them in the refrigerator for a few days, they will still be the same after cooking. Fish, on the other hand, must be absolutely fresh. As a matter of fact, if you go to a Chinese restaurant and order a fish from the tank, there is a big difference on how much better it tastes than one that is previously frozen. To me fish tastes better very hot, not warm fish after resting.

dcarch

I think you are misunderstanding the term "resting". It does not refer to letting fish sit in the refrigerator, but rather the period of time allowed between cooking and plating. In general, fish and meat is best when warm. Not room temperature, but not hot; somewhere in between. That is (IMO) the best way to appreciate the flavors.

If fish is very hot, or really hot at all, it is, by definition, overcooked.

I agree with you only if you are talking about sushi.

Otherwise you would be saying 100% of Chinese ways of cooking fish are wrong, or fish stew or deep fried fish & chips or poached fish recipes or -----------.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)

I guess it depends on your definition of "hot". I would say it is anything above 62C, which in the case of pretty much all fish, and some meat, is, by definition, overcooked. In the case of frying fish, the heat is generated by the steam trapped between the fish and the batter, which is why you leave it to rest before you eat it, or else you burn your mouth. The heat you experience is the steam, not the core temperature of the fish (if fried at the right temperature and for the appropriate length of time, the core temperature of the fish never should become "hot").