• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating in Adelaide

Niall

HI,

I'll be in the city of the churches from next wednesday to sunday and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for eating places;

We'll be staying in the city centre, but will hopefully be visiting the Adelaide hills, Mclaren vale and either the Clare valley or the Barossa.

Ta

Niall

'You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.'

- Frank Zappa

Niall

For the size of the city it really does have some very good restaurants. We like The Grange at the Hilton because Cheong Liew is there and does very interesting dishes such as the Dance of the Sea and the chicken in clay.

Bridgewater Mill is great because of Le Tu Thai formerly of Nediz Tu. Nediz is very good and we have had two of the best meals of the past two years at Magills (Penfolds restaurant). The food has been of a very high standard and being able to order Grange by the glass is pretty special.

Roger McShane

Foodtourist.com

I also recommend going to The Grange, at the Hilton. Far from the kind of restaurant one would expect to encounter at a Hilton hotel, so don't be put off by location. My other recommendation is Star of Greece, which is maybe 25 minutes down the coast from central Adelaide, and close to the McLaren Vale wine district. It's not a Greek restaurant. It's a casual restaurant set in a former bait shop on cliffs above the beach, and is named for the wreck of a ship nearby. Great beachy atmosphere, killer views, deck for outdoor dining. Menu has seafood emphasis. Perfect spot for relaxed lunch. Featured in the just-released issue of delicious magazine, which has a pavlova on the front cover. If you've time, a visit to Adelaide Central Markets is also recommended. Stall 55 stocks a wide range of South Australia's finest produce.

Thanks Guys;

We have a self catering apartment for the time we are down there, so we will do our best to get to the markets for at least one night; we were planning on getting to the MvLaren Vale, so Star of Greece for lunch will probably be happening.

Unfortunately we've just bought a new car; so the budget might not extend to Grange this time.

Ta

Niall

'You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.'

- Frank Zappa

• 8 months later...

When people write about Australian restaurants they always give due deference to Sydney and sometimes to Melbourne. However, they rarely recognise the amazing restaurants of the 'city of churches', namely Adelaide.

We are fortunate to be able to travel to this great restaurant city very regularly. We think that three of the restaurants rate alongside the best in Sydney.

You cannot go here without experiencing the food of Cheong Lieuw at the Grange. His food is unique and he has been a trail-blazing chef in this country. But Bridgewater Mill is in the same league - stunning food by Le Tu Thai . And so is the food at the quiet achiever - Magill Estate Restaurant. Here we have had some memorable food and wine experiences. How about Grange by the glass!!!!

Those three are the top end restaurants but the others also thrill the food lover. Jasmin serves great Indian food, Ying Chow serves earthy Chinese regional dishes and the list goes on.

Does anyone else have any Adelaide experiences to relate?

Roger McShane

Foodtourist.com

I was astounded by the quality of food in South Australia generally. On the evenings we were there we ate at Soho, Cibo and Amalfi, and in all cases the food was great. We didn't have the budget to go to Grange at the time unfortunately. For me Cibo was the standout of these three; the food, service and wine were excellent. The portions were huge. Amalfi was a lot less formal, but the food here was great too and the atmosphere there is great.

Because of the quality of the food in Adelaide, we based ourselves there while visiting the wine regions (we got to the Adelaide Hills, Barossa, Clare and McLaren Vale), rather than staying in the vineyards

- Frank Zappa

I lived in Adelaide for 5 years in the late 80s - early 90s. Unfortunately the majority of my Adelaide food experiences would have been college food where I was introduced to the horrors of chop suey with leftover roast beef from the previous night's 'tea' :sad::sad: - I usually had vegemite on toast for dinner if they were serving chop suey.

By my final year there, a couple of friends and I thought that we could not leave Adelaide and not try some of the restaurants there as Adelaide restaurants were consistently voted as the best restaurants in Australia. We decided that we would try to eat our way through as many places as we could afford that were listed in the Advertiser Good Food Guide.

Magill Estate had yet to open at that time nor was Cheong Liew at the Grange - think he was teaching at the Regency Park College then (I finally managed to try Cheong Liew's amazing cooking when he did a short stint at the KL Hilton with Mount Adam winery in 1998).

I remember wonderful meals at :

- Jasmin (a cousin of the family that runs Jasmin has a restaurant in KL called Saffron)

- Imperial Peking - I loved the 'king toh kuat' (ribs) there

- Ayers House restaurant

- Chloe's

- Alphutte

- Oxford Hotel bistro

- Stoneyfell Winery (I think it's down the road from Magill Estate)

There was also the wonderful tasting portions served at the Barossa Food and Wine festival where various Adelaide restaurants would pair up with wineries for the festival... but I forget which ones - must have been too much wine :raz: .

I would love to visit Adelaide again and eat my way through the Advertiser Good Food Guide again now that I'm no longer on a student's budget.

Edited by Shiewie (log)

Not sure that I can add much to this because meals in Adelaide are usually with family, and in a choice between my sister's amazing cooking and a restaurant, the sister wins.

However, last time (June) I had to take 19 people out to dinner and after much agonizing, chose Suree Thai in Hyde Park. This was good, and served the purpose. (I wanted a huge round table, to be able to bring our own wine, decent prices, good food of course, quiet for conversation and good parking). Food wise, it could stretch a bit I think. It seems too subdued, a little too westernized with the exception of an excellent larb (laarb) . I've since heard that Star of Siam would have been slightly better tastewise.

[slight tangent alert: So far the only really excellent Thai restaurants I've been to are one in Darwin (Hanaman?) and a hole in the wall in Seattle].

Back to Adelaide - Has anyone been to The Melting Pot? I've had good reports on that, too.

The buzz among my friends is Urban Bistro in Rose Park. I went here when it first opened, but didn't take any notes or nick the menu, so can't recall many details excepting that it was exciting. The chefs are two excellent, well known mainstays of the Adelaide food scene who are now married to each other - Spencer Cole (ex Stamford Grand) and Bethany Finn (ex Hilton - but the Brasserie(?) not Cheong's joint).

The setting is a bit chilly for me - I hate hate hate minimalist -but the food is very inventive and, according to my friends who are rapidly becoming devotees, getting better with every new menu. Excellent service staff right from the getgo.

I've eaten at Jarmer's which is a great place to take a staid and foodfussy Grandmother to. Very proper. Very good. Very frenchish. Warm decor. Good service. Toobloodyexpensive.

Not a fan of Lungamere's in Glenelg. Extremely loud. I can't hear the food sing when my ears are hurting. The seafood was excellent. Good to take a nagging spouse to. Then you don't have to listen to them.

Excellent reports are coming out about The Lion Hotel Dining Room. Considering what the Lion was in my student days in North Adelaide, I can't get my head around this. (Shiewie - Uni Adelaide?).

d'Arry's Verandah let me down bigtime when I had to take some people to lunch. Food was reasonable, not particularly imaginative, but well executed. Fabulous view of the vineyards from every table. Service shocking on this occasion. Previous times have been excellent, but it's the last occasion which sticks in one's head.

Salopian Inn is still outstandingly good. I just LOVE that wine cellar. New chef David Swain has taken over from Peter Hogg, and is doing great things. I just wish he wouldn't write a book for every plate. I really don't want to know what every little thing on the plate is. Just the essence will do - I'll work out the rest myself or ask the waiter.

That's about it until next trip...

- Jane

Hi Jango

Yes, Uni Adelaide. Which year? I was there from 1987 to 1991.

Hmmm, the Old Lion - from what I remember it would have been more of a pub crawl option than a dining one! We did have one of our college formal dinners there but then anything would have been good compared to college food. Perhaps they've refurbished it and put in a new bistro in like the Oxford. I was last in Adelaide in 95' and North Adelaide had changed considerably from when I lived there.

I remember the Star of Siam from when I was in Adelaide. There was also another pretty good Thai place called Bangkok on Rundle Street. Rundle Street is also vastly different from when I lived there. Went for lunch at Universal Wine Bar on Rundle Street on my 95' visit - liked it but can't recall any details either.

Fantastic dinner at Magill Estate last december, complete with sunset over the vineyards.

Excellent meal at Bergerac in Adelaide, on North terrace, next to the Botanic Hotel to be exact; great sleek dining room and excellent service. The food was very good, although the place seemed a bit quiet. Is it still in operation ?

Michel

Chopper - i agree about Magill Estate. My meals there have always been first rate - and being able to try Grange by the glass is a class act.

Slight tangent alert: So far the only really excellent Thai restaurants I've been to are one in Darwin (Hanaman?) and a hole in the wall in Seattle].

Jango: I also like Hanuman in Darwin - a nice place. But what about Sailors Thai in Sydney?? This is the best Thai food I have eaten outside Bangkok. And can you remember where the Seattle hole-in-the-wall was?

Roger McShane

Foodtourist.com

Slight tangent alert: So far the only really excellent Thai restaurants I've been to are one in Darwin (Hanaman?) and a hole in the wall in Seattle].

Jango: I also like Hanuman in Darwin - a nice place. But what about Sailors Thai in Sydney?? This is the best Thai food I have eaten outside Bangkok. And can you remember where the Seattle hole-in-the-wall was?

Roger, I don't know about Sailors Thai since I haven't eaten in Sydney for years. Sounds worth a trip.

I may be able to track down this Thai restaurant in Seattle presuming it's still in business. I was there last October '02, BUT - it had only two good things on the menu that I remember.

The "little bites" - Mieng something, was to die for. The kitchen plated it which was unusual - I think it's traditional for diners to assemble them , but in this case it was the right decision for the kitchen to make - fabulous balance of flavours.

Second dish was lamb in a red curry sauce - as we took the first bite, there was total silence in a usually noisy table of about 14 of us - and then one lady whispered, "I think I've died and gone to heaven". We all agreed. All of us have been trying to recreate it ever since. I visit there in a few weeks so will report back.

How come you are able to travel about so? I've heard you on radio I think, but are you solely in the food business?

Yes, Uni Adelaide. Which year? I was there from 1987 to 1991.

Hmmm, the Old Lion - from what I remember it would have been more of a pub crawl option than a dining one! We did have one of our college formal dinners there but then anything would have been good compared to college food. Perhaps they've refurbished it and put in a new bistro in like the Oxford. I was last in Adelaide in 95' and North Adelaide had changed considerably from when I lived there.

I remember the Star of Siam from when I was in Adelaide. There was also another pretty good Thai place called Bangkok on Rundle Street. Rundle Street is also vastly different from when I lived there. Went for lunch at Universal Wine Bar on Rundle Street on my 95' visit - liked it but can't recall any details either.

87-91? I'm a decade older. No, that's too kind to age. I'm a generation older than you, youngster. I was there in the 70's (St Ann's), the only real shining light to that being that I got to taste Cheong Liew's cooking as he went from a being the bottom of the heap cook at the Iliad to Moos (only place you could take a vegetarian because he did vegies so well) to Neddy's . I think you would have just missed out.

Yes, the Old Lion was just a rager. I doubt that anyone knew what food was. It looks amazing now. You wouldn't recognize the whole street. And as for O'Connell St. Wow. Rows of restaurants and coffee bars. People just seem to eat, and eat, and eat.

If you go back, do your darndest to go to the Grange. It will blow your mind. I've been there twice now, and think that it's the best restaurant in the world, and I've been lucky enough to go to some great restaurants.

- Jane

• 1 month later...

If you go back,  do your darndest to go to the Grange.    It will blow your mind.  I've been there twice now, and think that it's the best restaurant in the world, and I've been lucky enough to go to some great restaurants. 

- Jane

I don't think it's the best restaurant in the world, but I can't think of one better :biggrin:

After a recent 8 michelin stars in 36 hour trip to paris (2x3*+1x2*), I am even more certain of this.

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update. The day after I returned from the US, i was asked to conduct some computer forums in adelaide and managed to spend 5 days in that wonderful city.

I headed for the Ying Chow on the first night and it was significantly better that on previous visits. It really is the 'cheap and cheerful' star of the city.

A meal at the Star of Greece for lunch the next day was perfect. Sitting on the cliff top eating sensible food and benefitting from the well-chosen wines.

Dinner at the Grange was as memorable as always although we detected some tensions in the front-of-house about staffing levels. There were some real gaps in service for which our waiter apologised profusely but was unable to rectify.

A meal at One Twenty Four on Vine was pleasant-to-good without being the type of meal you would go into raptures about.

Georges on Waymouth is well-worth a visit for lunch and breakfast. Very professional.

Roger McShane

Foodtourist.com

Just a quick update. The day after I returned from the US, i was asked to conduct some computer forums in adelaide and managed to spend 5 days in that wonderful city.

I headed for the Ying Chow on the first night and it was significantly better that on previous visits. It really is the 'cheap and cheerful' star of the city.

A meal at the Star of Greece for lunch the next day was perfect. Sitting on the cliff top eating sensible food and benefitting from the well-chosen wines.

Dinner at the Grange was as memorable as always although we detected some tensions in the front-of-house about staffing levels. There were some real gaps in service for which our waiter apologised profusely but was unable to rectify.

A meal at One Twenty Four on Vine was pleasant-to-good without being the type of meal you would go into raptures about.

Georges on Waymouth is well-worth a visit for lunch and breakfast. Very professional.

I love the star of greece,

was there 6 weeks ago and had stunning salt and pepper squid caught that morning off port willunga!

an amazing ambience :biggrin:

A meal without wine is... well, erm, what is that like?

• 10 months later...

Hi! I was wondering if some of you could post your favorite spots in Adelaide for foodie related things. Most of the postings here seem to be about The Grange but I'm more interested in sourcing food for my own cooking. Particularly like to know who some of the better vendors are in the market, where your favorite coffee places are, who makes great bread, best chocolate places, great wine shops, good places for food related items to buy. I'm actually living in Glenelg so rec's for that area of town are welcome. Thanks very much!

Gees where do I start in the Central Market. I spose I'll do this by product which will probably make it easier.

For Fruit & Veg:

Fred McMahons

Coco'c Tropical

Central Mushrooms - besides buttons and field mushrooms, you can usually get enokis, shitakes, truffle oil and various other types of mushrooms

Asian Gourmet - A huge selection of Asian vegetables, herbs other Asian goods. Don't forget to pick up some Pocky from there.

For Seafood:

Samtass - for live oysters, crays and mudcrabs

Angelakis Bros - for fresh cooked crays, whole fish and octopus

For Poultry:

Angelakis Bros - great for quail, duck, guinea fowl, squab and poussin

For Smallgoods: There's ONLY one place to go :biggrin:

Standom Smallgoods - absolutely brilliant sausages (chorizo, hunters, salami). They also do high quality cuts of meat. Their veal is superb.

For Meat:

Marino Meats - I love this place. A great Italian butcher. I usually grab a couple of bracciole, some osso bucco, hot italian sausages and when they have them rabbits. Their veal is also great and the prosciutto is heaven :smile:

General:

I usually grab coffee from Coffee Connection. Right beside there is a place that specializes in olives and about a million olive oils which is really good.

Cheese I get from Say Cheese.... a great selection.

For quite a good selection of wines, beer and spirits try the liquor store in Market Arcade (on the way to Victoria Square)

Enjoy

Cheers

Tom

http://www.adelaide.sa.gov.au/centralmarket/map_print.htm

http://www.adelaide.sa.gov.au/centralmarket/stores.htm

I want food and I want it now

• 1 month later...

Manse Restaurant in North Adelaide is outstanding for fine dining...pop into the Oxford Hotel for cleansing Coopers Pale Ale before and afterwards.

Gauchos on Gouger St if you a carnivore and like eating Goats Leg etc...they let you BYO.

Universal Wine Bar on Rundle St has good wines and nice food. If not eating pop in and have some snacks and wine by the glass.

Perhaps pop down to Glenelg to Holdfast Shores development for lunch. There are some nice outdoorish seafood restaurants there. Sammys on the Marina is quite good.

Eros in Rundle St has good Greek food and (spot the theme) Rockford BP on the winelist for a fair price.

The Grange, Melting Pot and Magill Cellars are all great but expensive

If you want somwhere more affordable go for Nu's Thai [Gouger St] or Urban [Fullarton Rd

Hope this is of use

Cheers

Paul

Rundle St has some excellent noodle places. There is a place called Spices (oh, I think so, anyway. It's been over a year and a half now since I lived there. Perhaps 'Rundle Spices') which was one of my favorites.

I think I have some more answers in one or two of those threads quoted above.

I hope you enjoy your trip! I did like Adelaide a lot. Weird, I know. :smile:

I haven't been there for a few years; but Cibo was good when we were there.

- Frank Zappa

I fully admit to being tempted by Grange. Anyone been there?

Thanks muchly Tom for your list.

Edited by PCL (log)

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

Thanks FiFi... you in melbourne?? can you send a copy to me by overnight post??? only 1/2 hour till mail time, LOL...

thanks, i'll try to find a copy of it before i leave friday morning!

Sorry PCL I didn't read you post until now so here is a quick run down with their comments in case you didn't get a copy:

The Grange: Grand experience/ if serious about food you should eat once

Urban Bistro: Less formal/chef used to work for Cheong Liew

The Botanic Cafe: Mediterranean food/always busy

To Relish: Fun on Fridays, outstanding starter - poached oyster with a parsley puree in tiny choux pastries

Wine Underground Restaurant: wines by the glass, tapas

Depot one7nine: Breakfast

Cibo: coffee, gelati and pannini

Lucia's: institution at Central market - Breakfast/basic Italian

Let us know what you discover - I am off to Adelaide myself in two weeks.

Good Luck!