• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hobox Island

mr food

There are discussions on Hobox sometimes on this board, IslaMujeres.info in the chat groups. You can do a search or start a new thread.

Not sure about Hobox, but on Isla Mujeres most restaurants don't take credit cards and the general feeling is that, security-wise, it is safer not to use a credit card. If you do use a card, both the restaurant owner and the server will be much happier if the tip is left in pesos.

Also, recently and I believe this is all through Mexico - not just Isla, the banks have stopped exchanging American Currency or Travelers Checks for Pesos - one has to go to a more expensive private currency exchange. I always use an ATM card at a bank machine for Pesos.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

• 2 weeks later...
There are discussions on Hobox sometimes on this board, IslaMujeres.info in the chat groups.  You can do a search or start a new thread.

Not sure about Hobox, but on Isla Mujeres most restaurants don't take credit cards and the general feeling is that, security-wise, it is safer not to use a credit card.  If you do use a card, both the restaurant owner and the server will be much happier if the tip is left in pesos.

Also, recently and I believe this is all through Mexico - not just Isla, the banks have stopped exchanging American Currency or Travelers Checks for Pesos - one has to go to a more expensive private currency exchange.  I always use an ATM card at a bank machine for Pesos.

Last time I was there, about a year ago, Holbox was still pretty much all cash. Only one restaurant I can think of was advertising that it took credit cards--and it's not a very good restaurant. (Not even sure how this works, as the telecom situation on Holbox is so basic--certainly not an instant charge to your account!) So pack the cash...

I had a memorable meal at La Cueva del Pirata many years ago, but have heard recent reports that it has a new owner, and is not as great. Would be curious to hear what you find. On my last visit, best meal was at a place I'm forgetting the name of--a two-story palapa situation just west off the square. (I should know these things--I write guidebooks! Der...)

Edited by zora (log)

Zora O’Neill aka "Zora"

Roving Gastronome

• 1 year later...

It's a good idea to plan on bringing cash with you to Holbox. The odd place you find that will take a credit card will add at least 5% for the convenience of using it. That goes not only for restaurants but for other expenses as well.

Regarding the food, we've eaten well at Viva Zapata and Colibri, which in addition to a changing evening menu, serves a terrific breakfast.

The local dining scene seems to feature two main themes in restaurants: seafood and Italian. And there is what might be considered Holbox fusion cuisine: restaurants that serve Italian seafood dishes.

See www.mxtravel.com for some additional info.

Edited by mediakzar (log)