• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rolling out between two silpats technique

gfron1

Increasingly I've been rolling things out between two silpats. In particular, my torta de acietes have been going gangbusters, so much so that I was approached by some local investors to mass produce (my answer was no). The two silpat method works great for this because I don't have time to deal with the stickiness, and I get a very uniform thinness. This morning my silpats were sliding around on the countertop so I put a towel underneath. The result was an even thinner product. This has allowed me to get nearly paper thin - literally. Is anyone else doing this type of roll out?

I prefer using silpat over parchment because I find that the parchment can wrinkle when rolled, causing creases and tears in the dough.

Eileen

I can see that, though I don't have that problem often. Having a kosher kitchen, we have 6 sets of everything (meat, dairy, parve and another set of each for Passover). The cost to outfit the kitchen in full sheet-pan size silpat is prohibitive. I only have the wrinkle problem if I'm using the sheets multiple times. So if I have to toss a sheet of parchment and use a new one to finish a job, that's ok.

Is anyone else doing this type of roll out?

Now I will! I was just thinking the other day that I don't like using parchment because of the wrinkly factor and didnt even THINK about this. Pie crusts and I don't get along, and its always at this stage. Maybe now I will be less tempted to throw my pie crust across the room when working with it...

*slaps forehead* I'm having a "why didn't I think of that" moment here.

I will immediately switch from parchment paper. This makes so much more sense. I think you should post this in the "best tips" topic on the cooking thread, too :)

Thanks for the wakeup call, gfron1