• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

RIP Arthur’s Landing

jwjojo

The weakening economy has forced one of North Jersey’s foremost dining destinations to be shuttered, 10 days before the year’s biggest dining weekend.

KEVIN R. WEXLER / STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER NJ.com

People are seen inside Arthur's Landing in Weehawken on January 15, 2009 following the crash of Flight 1549. Arthur’s Landing, a landmark on the Hudson River in Weehawken and a dining destination for Broadway-goers and gourmands seeking New York style at New Jersey prices, unexpectedly closed Tuesday.

“The severity of this downturn and the unlikelihood of a turnaround in the near future sadly leaves us no alternative but to close down operations, effective immediately,” notes a message from Dry Dock Restaurant Corp. chairman Armand Pohan on the restaurant’s Web site.

General Manager John Woloshyn and Executive Chef Michael Haimowitz were told of the closing Tuesday. The pair had been preparing for Valentine’s weekend, which had received 200 reservations for Saturday alone, Haimowitz said.

Haimowitz, who joined the restaurant three years ago this week, had widely been credited with elevating the restaurant’s culinary profile. He created a menu rich with New Jersey seafood, launched a fun bar menu with lobster sliders and blue cheese potato chips, and continued the restaurant’s popular Sunday brunches and pre-theater menus.

His work was recognized by the James Beard Foundation, which invited him to headline a dinner in its New York headquarters a year ago. “It spoke to how much the staff had come together and how much better a foundation the restaurant was on, from a culinary and service standpoint.”

Oh, this really saddens me! I went to Arthur's Landing New Year's Eve. The place was packed and we had a blast. This is truly awful. I feel so bad for the owners and staff. I pray that Arthur's Landing comes back after what will hopefully be a short hiatus.