• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sani-Tuff Cutting Boards

eatrustic

These are considered to be the best not wooden cutting board, made of a dense rubber material and very kind to knives as well as being incredibly durable.

Usually sold through restaurant supply but I've tried all the usual suspects and no one carries them.

Hate to have to order one from the U.S. and pay shipping.

These are considered to be the best not wooden cutting board, made of a dense rubber material and very kind to knives as well as being incredibly durable.

Usually sold through restaurant supply but I've tried all the usual suspects and no one carries them.

Thought that kitchen shop in Granville Island (Net loft) sells them or a clone of them

Thought that kitchen shop in Granville Island (Net loft) sells them or a clone of them

Thanks but no they don't have it or a clone. They have an expensive one (Epicure I think it's called) that is very different. I would rather buy an end grain wooden cutting board if that was all I could find.

• 2 years later...

Ok - I just got delivery of my new sani-tuff board. I love the size and heft of it, plus it feels very nice on the knife (does that make sense?). It's got a little bit of a bite, but not too much.

My question: It was delivered with a fine dusting of what I assume is rubber powder on it. I've tried rinsing it, scrubbing it - it just keeps generating it. Obviously this won't work for actual use.

Does anyone have any ideas? It seems like when I scrub it the rubber is 'pilling' into a very fine dust.

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

• 3 weeks later...

I have a stack of these boards and yes they came with a fine rubber powder when they were new. But the powder rinsed off with a little water and a soft sponge. I generally scrub the boards with one of those plastic mesh cleaning sponges and don't seem to generate any new rubber powder.

Edited by jongchen (log)

• 1 month later...

Yes you can sand them. My board is 24x28 and I wish I had a big wood sander to pass it through. The board is 3/4" thick, but the previous owners cut a lot of fish on it and the groves are quite deep.

Yes, I've had mine for about six years now and I've done it a couple of times. I should probably do it more often than that. Mine has a "dinner" side and a "dessert" side, and the dessert side has little divots from the chocolate chopper. One side smells like onion and garlic, the other like chocolate and vanilla.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

Despite all the stern warnings not to, I ran mine through the dishwasher last night. It is now horribly warped. How do I fix it?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

At a guess--I've never needed to actually do this--I'd say, if it was warped by hot water, you can unwarp it with hot water. I would try filling a large basin with hot water, put the board in the bottom of the basin, put a sheet pan on top of it, and then load it down with some weights, like a pile of bricks.

"I think it's a matter of principle that one should always try to avoid eating one's friends."--Doctor Dolittle

blog: The Institute for Impure Science

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/printpost.php?tid/827494/

If put thru the dish washer and then left cool standing on its side, they will warp under their own weight. Seen it happen dozens of times. I've had good luck by running through the dish washer again, and when it comes out place the board so that the 'bend' is facing down. In other words the corners make contact and the warped part sticks itself up. then place a couple of sheet pans on top, and then a bunch of #10 cans on that. Or any broad heavy weight. Leave over nite to cool. Should take care of it. Sometimes you need to do it a couple of times.

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

..or get a new board? I mainly use plastic ones from the kitchen supply store or target, replace when no longer nice, though they do hold up very well for a long time.

Cutting boards never seem like something I'd want to spend a lot of cash on or fiddle with to get flat/clean/sanded/what not again.

I run the plastic ones (that fit) through the dish washer all the time with no problems.

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

Is it really true that you can sand them?

I saw a sushi chef in Japan use an electric planer to shave his cutting board to a clean surface, something he did every day. The cutting board was (originally) extremely thick though, and it appeared as though they were purchased in thick 'planks' designed to be regularly shaved. I'm guessing anything from 10-20cm (4"-8") new. It was a white plastic material, not timber. It struck me as a very hygienic practise. I'm not a carpenter so I don't know how different the surface would be if you used an electric sander rather than a planer, and if this would affect hygiene.

I saw a sushi chef in Japan use an electric planer to shave his cutting board to a clean surface, something he did every day.

Just don't do this with an endgrain wood board. Total carnage ensues. Sanders work fine, though.

Edited by paulraphael (log)

Notes from the underbelly

A warm oven is supposed to help to unwarp these boards.

"The main thing to remember about Italian food is that when you put your groceries in the car, the quality of your dinner has already been decided." – Mario Batali

..or get a new board? I mainly use plastic ones from the kitchen supply store or target, replace when no longer nice, though they do hold up very well for a long time.

Cutting boards never seem like something I'd want to spend a lot of cash on or fiddle with to get flat/clean/sanded/what not again.

I run the plastic ones (that fit) through the dish washer all the time with no problems.

I agree!!the restaurant supply ones are bullet proof and get washed in D/W all the time

The other advantage of them is you buy bigger sizes, than you need,and use table saw to customize the sizes,so you have a perfect size for each task,,,I have about 10 different sizes in the drawer.And they are much cheaper as well...

Bud

Despite all the stern warnings not to, I ran mine through the dishwasher last night. It is now horribly warped. How do I fix it?

I'd round up some weights and a plank/slab at least the size of the board, and either run the board through the dishwasher again, removing it as soon as it stops washing, or fill the sink with boiling water, shove in the board, and let it sit a while, possibly letting out a little water, and topping it up again to keep the heat high.

Then, acting very fast, yank it out, put it on the counter, cover it with the plank, and evenly distribute as much weight over it as you have available (I'm thinking 20-50 lbs of the plates off my weights, or something similar).

I'm not certain that this would work (you may just have to chalk this up to experience), but hey, since you've satisfied your curiosity regarding the effects of boiling water on the board in the first place, you may as well try one more experiment, and round out your knowledge :wink:

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

At a guess--I've never needed to actually do this--I'd say, if it was warped by hot water, you can unwarp it with hot water. I would try filling a large basin with hot water, put the board in the bottom of the basin, put a sheet pan on top of it, and then load it down with some weights, like a pile of bricks.

This sounded convincing, so I put the board in the sink in hot water and let it sit for a while. I then put it on the counter with some weight on it. Worked great.

P1020945.JPG

P1020946.JPG

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)