• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Storing Black Truffles

iainpb

I have a fairly large black truffle in a jar which i am using slowly in small slices or grating. What is the best way to keep it fresh now it has been opened? Should i refridgerate it?

You should... Take a clay pot, place miracle grow potting soil, and dig a hole about 2 inches. Place your truffle into the hole, and water daily.... Soon enough you will have many many baby black truffles!!

Ok now seriously, if your slicing it... well you take a small container of rice, and put the truffle in there.. usually the procedure is done for whole truffles, not sure about sliced.... Otherwise, if your not looking to use it soon, i have mine in oil, in the fridge... the rice you can leave in a cool dark place. be careful about moisture, it will grow mold fast.

I may be in the gutter, but I am still staring at the stars.