• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where do you buy spices?

Smarmotron

I usually get my spices at an Indian grocery. They are a ton cheaper than at the Safeway. I have jam jars that are about 15 years old that I keep the spices in.

I guess I could also buy seeds and grind them.

Where do you go for your cheap, fresh, spices?

I am a Penzey's fan. I love that I can get just a small 1/4 cup jar of most things, as well as bulk sizes of the things I use most often. I have bought a few things at the Indian grocery, but I ended up taking out about a half cup and freezing the rest because I have so much. These are all whole seeds like cumin, coriander and fenugreek so I think they should be ok on the freezer.

It's a little more expensive to buy the smallest size, but still cheaper and better quality than the grocery store. Plus, even though I don't buy a lot of spice blends, the two or three I do buy I am devoted to (Pizza Seasoning, Mural of Flavor, Peppercorn dressing blend)

I order from Penzey's and also from thespicehouse.com. However I buy my saffron (and I use a lot) from saffron.com in San Francisco. I have purchased from several vendors and have found theirs is the best.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Penzey's until very recently, because they had a storefront near by. Now I've moved and I'm doing the local farmer's markets and co-ops. I did like Penzey's very much though.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

I love The Spice House..  I wont even tell you how much I spent there in August when I finally got to visit a store in Chicago.

I tend to go a bit overboard when I visit Penzey's in Torrance. However my online shopping at the Spice House is not exactly frugal either.

I really need to use all I buy also.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I love The Spice House..  I wont even tell you how much I spent there in August when I finally got to visit a store in Chicago.

My name is Dan, and I am a Spice House addict. I used to live in Milwaukee and it became a regular stop when grocery shopping. I think I have close to 40 jars of herbs, spices, and blends from them. I can sympathize with the expensive visits.

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

I really like Savory Spice Shop, significantly more than Penzeys. Their stores are much more impressive, and they do spice grinding in the stores, with everything in bulk bins which they measure out in front of you to whatever weight you want. Almost nothing is pre-packaged which Penzeys all seems to be. But they're only in Colorado, although they do mail order. One of my favorite stores of any type.

For good qaulity spices, herbs, dried fruit & mushrooms, etc. I go to www.myspicer.com. I have been very satisfied w/ their products. I have also bought from Butcher & Packer w/ satisfactory results. I found Penzeys to be too expensive considering I got the same quality product at a much lesser price.

Tom Gengo

I tend to go a bit overboard when I visit Penzey's in Torrance. However my online shopping at the Spice House is not exactly frugal either.

I really need to use all I buy also.

I like The Spice House better, but since I live in Canada, its only mail order for me( I get mail in MI). Thanks for reminding me there is a Penzeys in Torrance as I'm coming to Socal for 2 weeks in March.

I find Penzey's have the best selection and freshest spices of anyplace. I normally don't buy blends, just plain spices and make my own blends but I do find that some of their blends are very good. Their prices are reasonable for what you get, I only wish we had a store locally!

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

I find Penzey's have the best selection and freshest spices of anyplace.  I normally don't buy blends, just plain spices and make my own blends but I do find that some of their blends are very good.  Their prices are reasonable for what you get, I only wish we had a store locally!

Try The Spice House( relatives of Penzeys). I find their spices fresher than Penzeys. When you're at a location, they weigh everything out for you. I even saw them grinding the spices in the back room.

I really like Savory Spice Shop, significantly more than Penzeys.  Their stores are much more impressive, and they do spice grinding in the stores, with everything in bulk bins which they measure out in front of you to whatever weight you want.  Almost nothing is pre-packaged which Penzeys all seems to be.  But they're only in Colorado, although they do mail order.  One of my favorite stores of any type.

Thanks for the tip. The website looks very nice. When I come to CO in April I will try to visit a store. Hope I can leave husband in the car while I shop. Think of all the things I can try, without the cost of shipping.

I used to get a bunch of things from Penzeys, and son and I used to coordinate orders to save on shipping. But I look forward to visiting an actual spice store.

I find Penzey's have the best selection and freshest spices of anyplace.  I normally don't buy blends, just plain spices and make my own blends but I do find that some of their blends are very good.  Their prices are reasonable for what you get, I only wish we had a store locally!

Try The Spice House( relatives of Penzeys). I find their spices fresher than Penzeys. When you're at a location, they weigh everything out for you. I even saw them grinding the spices in the back room.

I'll add one for The Spice House. I am fortunate to live near the original one where Mr Penzey still hangs sometimes. He is so passionate about spices. He once gave me a 30 min lecture on peppercorns alone! Stories about his kids and Penzeys made it so much fun. I usually go to the one in Milwaukee Public Market now, but should make a trip bak soon.

Jeff

World Spice and the odd Indian grocery. In desperation, the bulk jars at the coop.

I used to love Worldspice back when Tony was still the owner, but both the quality and the customer service have plummeted since he left. The people behind the counter have been downright surly to me at times, not to mention claiming my cooking groups spice blends, which we had shared with Tony, as their own recipes :angry:

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Thanks for the tip.  The website looks very nice.  When I come to CO in April I will try to visit a store.  Hope I can leave husband in the car while I shop. Think of all the things I can try, without the cost of shipping.

I used to get a bunch of things from Penzeys, and son and I used to coordinate orders to save on shipping.  But I look forward to visiting an actual spice store.

When I was out there I went to the one in Boulder, which had just opened that week. They only have a few stores, and the one I was at had one of the partners, who talked to me about different spices for quite awhile. It was really nice to have someone there who really knew the product. Plus, they're open to bringing in new things if they don't have them (although I have to commit to buying an entire case of wattleseed for them to order it, and I don't think I can use up the 20-30 pounds that entails!

I really like Savory Spice Shop, significantly more than Penzeys.  Their stores are much more impressive, and they do spice grinding in the stores, with everything in bulk bins which they measure out in front of you to whatever weight you want.  Almost nothing is pre-packaged which Penzeys all seems to be.  But they're only in Colorado, although they do mail order.  One of my favorite stores of any type.

You might try Vitamin Cottage, in the bulk section, They have a nice selection of whole spices that are really nice, and reasonable as well

Bud