• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheddar Cheese Sauce

Shel_B

I was thinking of making a cheddar cheese sauce to drizzle over some broccoli, however, the recipes that I have for the sauce all include flour (to make the base) and milk. Any cooks out there that might have a suggestion or two to make the sauce low or no carb? Calories are not an issue.

I was thinking of using heavy cream instead of milk, but was concerned that the sauce might be too thick or rich.

... Shel

FWIW, I have subbed half heavy cream and half water for a lot milk in recipes and had no worries.

Never for cc sauce, though. i'd like to know how it goes for you. Good luck.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

A microwave alone can liquefy cheddar cheese enough to pour, especially the processed stuff.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack