• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good place to take the wife for Valentine's Day?

Octaveman

My favorite French place went out of business several years ago and I've been having a hard time finding a new joint to take the wife. Any suggestions for an intimate dining experience without breaking the bank? We enjoyed the prix fix option at the old place but not necessarily required.

thanks

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

Doh!  Where I'm from is under my avatar but I suppose I should've mentioned it anyway.  Sorry 'bout that.

I'm located in San Diego.

I would recommend Market Restaurant 858-523-0007 (3702 Via Dela Valle, Del Mar - www.Marketdelmar.com ). Go to their website and see if you like they menu and price. They are always busy especially on weekend so make sure you make reservation (even during current economic condition). It is not a French Restaurant but it is one of the top establishment in SD. For French try Mille Fleurs (expensive but worth it). You can check them out at www.Millefleurs.com 858-756-3085.

My favorite French place went out of business several years ago and I've been having a hard time finding a new joint to take the wife.  Any suggestions for an intimate dining experience without breaking the bank?  We enjoyed the prix fix option at the old place but not necessarily required.

thanks

Cafe Chloe - just over the bridge from you.

Hexagone is a fairly new French Restaurant, open only about 4 months. It's in the old Gemelli space at 5th and Laurel across the street from Laurel and the Mr. A's building. Reviews have been mixed. Food generally hasn't been the issue, most of the negative comments I've read related to service. A good friend of mine has eaten there twice and loved it. Ambiance is nice...low, soft lighting, understated. It's owned by the same chef that has French Market Grille in RB.

This place isn't French but recently, I discovered a Vietnamese restaurant named Royal that certainly has beautiful ambience and GREAAT food that is incredibly affordable (even leaning to cheap considering how beautiful the place is and lets not forget -quality food). It's one of those rare Vietnamese restaurants that actually take furnishings into account.

Address is: 9743 Bolsa Ave, Westminster CA

Phone: (714) 531 1408

Musings and Morsels - a film and food blog

http://musingsandmorsels.weebly.com/