• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

GBM 2009

Anybody had recent meals at Nathan Outlaw's or Shaun Rankin's place Bohemia in Jersey?

Both chefs are doing eggy starters tomorrow.

I'm really looking forward to this one.  :biggrin:

Yes, Judy and I went to Nathan Outlaw's at the start of April. I posted a very brief writeup on my blog, mostly just a list and photos of the courses, but we enjoyed it a lot. We had the tasting menu so we got a good range of Nathan's dishes but none remotely similar to the ones listed for the competition.

So is it 'Iron Chef Uk', the Duck Egg battle tomorrow?

who won?

Simplicity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dan the Man.

I eventually got around to watching it last night. Overall I thought it was very, very close Dan definitely got his act together. I suspect one more lamb chop on Peyton's plate may have swung it to Claire. First and fish course to Dan, but main and dessert to Claire.

Anybody had recent meals at Nathan Outlaw's or Shaun Rankin's place Bohemia in Jersey?

Both chefs are doing eggy starters tomorrow.

I'm really looking forward to this one.  :biggrin:

Yes, Judy and I went to Nathan Outlaw's at the start of April. I posted a very brief writeup on my blog, mostly just a list and photos of the courses, but we enjoyed it a lot. We had the tasting menu so we got a good range of Nathan's dishes but none remotely similar to the ones listed for the competition.

So is it 'Iron Chef Uk', the Duck Egg battle tomorrow?

Thanks for posting your review, it does look a stunning location, and the food looks the part as well

Is it big on flavour?

Michelin clearly have an eye on him.

Nice to get a bit of background to the contestants

It is duck egg indeed, I keep a few as pets and currently get about six eggs a day, the flavour is exceptional.

Bring it on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

round one to nathan i thought last night, great looking dish combining technique and comfort food from the looks of it.

Agreed.

Interesting to hear his opinion on the 3hr cooked egg though - maybe he didn't know about the judges reaction to Sat Bains' starter a few years back..

round one to nathan i thought last night, great looking dish combining technique and comfort food from the looks of it.

Agreed.

Interesting to hear his opinion on the 3hr cooked egg though - maybe he didn't know about the judges reaction to Sat Bains' starter a few years back..

The yolk looked slightly overcooked to me, I preferred Nathans.

I made kedgeree last night and topped it with one of my duck eggs,it was really scrummy even though I say it myself. Mrs G thought it was great too! :biggrin:

Shaun is full of himself though, whilst Nathan seems fairly laid back.

I know Nathan really enjoyed GBM and would do it again, if asked, without hesitation.

Edited by david goodfellow (log)

@d_goodfellow1

Its Turbot or Lobster tonight.

Yum, Yum. :smile:

Whose home are those supposed to be a taste of?

Edit: Oh, I see: Fish & Chips versus Prawn (or at least Lobster) cocktail.

But what on earth posessed Shaun to choose a dish he can't taste?

Edited by Duncan (log)

Very good point indeed, he clearly has supreme confidence in the produce, but hey, what a strange situation to be in.

Could have eaten both dishes with relish, but that Turbot looked like it was cooked to perfection!

@d_goodfellow1

I am puzzled as well... the number one rule as a chef is you need to taste your food be it to check your seasoning as well as the overall composition/ balance of the dish. Its not like he is competing in Iron Chef now is it?

Any opinions as to who will, or should win tonight?

Judging by the comments so far looks as though Nathan is considered out in front, but sometimes the judging can be, surprising to say the least.

Desserts can really trip a chef up, so to speak, but of course they have expert help in their own kitchens for inspiration!

I have to admit that Shaun's restaurant dishes looked very appealing when the cameras paid a visit.

@d_goodfellow1

I'm really enjoying this show. I know that marks me out as a total tool but I am hooked. (I fast forward through much of it, mind...)

Am excited about results tonight. I'm assuming Prue and Oliver's sneers ("A disgrace!") were directed at Shaun's shellfish cocktail so looks like Nathan's in with a good chance.

That said, I ate at Bohemia about a year ago and it was superb. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Shaun pulled it out of the bag last minute. "his flavours are great" as they say.

The week's highlight for me was Nathan's daughter: "I like chicken arms"

Go Nathan! and for next week, Go Tristan!

Judging by the comments so far looks as though Nathan is considered out in front, but sometimes the judging can be, surprising to say the least.

Desserts can really trip a chef up, so to speak, but of course they have expert help in their own kitchens for inspiration!

I have to admit that Shaun's restaurant dishes looked very appealing when the cameras paid a visit.

I would have gone with Nathan but not sure about how his dessert will go down

I'm rooting for Nathan, but I won't be surprised if Shaun wins. Nathans weakness is his mains which seems like a mish mash of ideas put on a plate. Really depends on how much the judges like Pork and Scallops, but if last year's feedback was anything to go back... Nathan would have the slight edge.

I suspect Mark summed it up well: entree and fish to Nathan, main and dessert to Shaun. Given the main tends to be a key dish I think Shaun will get it.....but it is going to be close especially if Nathan reworks his pud.

We are booked into Nathan's on Saturday night and I will be more than happy to try all four of his dishes if they are on the menu. Although I think he has a tasting extravaganza that may need to be ordered instead!

I can't help but think that there is some insider information on this forum, not naming names Ginger Chef or Polar Bear :wink:

I'll say one thing though all of the comments from the forum are spot on.

Really enjoyed the banter between Peyton and Fort and thank the lord for that old tart that won it ( no offence Prue) :biggrin:

Edited by david goodfellow (log)

@d_goodfellow1

I'm really enjoying this show. I know that marks me out as a total tool but I am hooked. (I fast forward through much of it, mind...)

Am excited about results tonight. I'm assuming Prue and Oliver's sneers ("A disgrace!") were directed at Shaun's shellfish cocktail so looks like Nathan's in with a good chance.

That said, I ate at Bohemia about a year ago and it was superb. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Shaun pulled it out of the bag last minute. "his flavours are great" as they say.

The week's highlight for me was Nathan's daughter: "I like chicken arms"

Go Nathan! and for next week, Go Tristan!

Sorry to disappoint, next weeks chefs,

James Sommerin

Ex Marco Man Stephen Terry

Guest chef Bryn Williams

Welsh Rarebit v Chicken & Pea ravioli, Caws Mynydd Du cheese

Oh boy-yo

@d_goodfellow1