• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

GBM 2009

thought daniel clifford came across very well, assured, despite a ton of mise to get through.

hmm... i though he came over as a bit of an arsehole

I am starting to worry about TV production stereotyping. The chippy brummie versus the intellectual Cambridge man - I suspect rehearsed lines and editing to achieve the effect. I realise this staging isn't new but it seems far to obvious this time.

I also feel Glynn isn't trying that hard - OK great fish course but the other two dishes seem a bit weak. Is it a "planned" handover...?

I also saw Hospitality Action has a GBM dinner to raise funds - GBM Cchefs Dinner

I am starting to worry about TV production stereotyping. The chippy brummie versus the intellectual Cambridge man - I suspect rehearsed lines and editing to achieve the effect. I realise this staging isn't new but it seems far to obvious this time. 

Does DC come across as intellectual? I think he comes across as very driven and serious. He is known to have a temper and obviously runs a very different kitchen to GP.

As for the rehearsed lines, I think that just comes from the format. When we were being filmed we would fall into conversation and the film crew would ask us to stop talking and then repeat some of the conversation we had just had. The end result is that you have to try and talk naturally about something that you have just spoken about IYSWIM. Inevitably it comes across as stilted.

Am thoroughly enjoying this weeks shows. As ever, I just wish I could try everything.

The chippy brummie versus the intellectual Cambridge man

hmm... works in cambridge does not a cambridge graduate make (unless i am mistaken)

Tony, both you and Saltandwoodsmoke miss my comment that this is a stereotype. The impression I get is that the production company is setting the "tension" in the competition this week based on these stereotypes.

I am certain that both DC and GP don't really fit into these pigeonholes and I am finding it a bit irritating they are portrayed in this way. Jenni Bond may have a lesser role, which is good, but the set-up of the competitive tension seems more obvious and forced than in previous series, which is not so good.

I get is that the production company is setting the "tension" in the competition

yes, they're bound to it, does demean it somewhat.

Tony flinn said last year they kept pushing him to criticise nigel's dishes - which he wouldn't, if it was good he said so.

you don't win friends with salad

thought daniel clifford came across very well, assured, despite a ton of mise to get through.

hmm... i though he came over as a bit of an arsehole

I think similar acusations were levelled against a certain leeds chef of my acquaintance last year. :laugh:

I see similar characteristics in both, neither are out to win friends and influence people but can cook the socks of most chefs and they demand perfection.

I also think there's bound to be a bit of needle with clifford being viewed as the underdog - he's the one with 2*'s

BTW - if you want a room and dinner at sat bains, according to their website, there's one available this saturday night - if i wasn't at anthony's already i'd have gone for that myself.

you don't win friends with salad

Thoughts on the result? I was fairly happy i think, GP clearly took a simpler stance and got away with it. Rhubarb dessert was a massive surprise, looked great but apparently didn't taste quite right.

Or am i happy because the 'good guy' won...

Thoughts on the result? I was fairly happy i think, GP clearly took a simpler stance and got away with it. Rhubarb dessert was a massive surprise, looked great but apparently didn't taste quite right.

I was quite surprised by that - I thought the dessert looked spot on but if it doesn't deliver then that's what matters..

I did laugh though when the judges got the menu at the end. "ooh that's not how i thought it would be" etc. I'm sorry, what? You know the 2 people who are cooking, are you seriously telling me you couldn't join the dots??

I thought this years challenge/objective was going to compromise the quality of cooking and I think the first week illustrates this.

The "taste of home" produced for a broad range of palates (private's to generals) is going to have to balance innovation and top ingredients with tastes that the "man in the street" likes. GP seemed to deliver to this brief whilst DC seemed to deliver 2 star food which I assume is similar to his restaurants standard menu. I thought GP never really got out of 3rd gear (apart from the fish course) whilst DC seemed to be pushing hard. As a result did we really see what GP can do? I am worried the other heats will also deliver throttled back cooking as a result of the brief.

Last year most of the chefs had GBM menus in their restaurants (I tried to visit all the SW and Welsh entries which was insightful). Assume they do the same this year I wonder which menu I would like to pay good money for? I also suspect I would probably opt for GP's standard menu to experience him at his best rather than this compromised one.

I thought this years challenge/objective was going to compromise the quality of cooking and I think the first week illustrates this.

The "taste of home" produced for a broad range of palates (private's to generals) is going to have to balance innovation and top ingredients with tastes that the "man in the street" likes. GP seemed to deliver to this brief whilst DC seemed to deliver 2 star food which I assume is similar to his restaurants standard menu. I thought GP never really got out of 3rd gear (apart from the fish course) whilst DC seemed to be pushing hard. As a result did we really see what GP can do? I am worried the other heats will also deliver throttled back cooking as a result of the brief.

Last year most of the chefs had GBM menus in their restaurants (I tried to visit all the SW and Welsh entries which was insightful). Assume they do the same this year I wonder which menu I would like to pay good money for? I also suspect I would probably opt for GP's standard menu to experience him at his best rather than this compromised one.

Spot on... if this were Great French Menu then Clifford would have won hands down. Unfortunately both his starters and fish course did not really remind me of 'a taste of home' while his dessert which is quintessentially british did not deliver in terms of taste. Makes me wonder how good Purnell's dessert really is because he got through on the basis of 2 dishes.

Spot on... if this were Great French Menu then Clifford would have won hands down. Unfortunately both his starters and fish course did not really remind me of 'a taste of home' while his dessert which is quintessentially british did not deliver in terms of taste. Makes me wonder how good Purnell's dessert really is because he got through on the basis of 2 dishes.

K,

His desserts are really on the money

Not complicated, just loads of flavour

They were that good I asked on our last visit who was on pastry?

I'm sure they said Simon ( Szymanski )

If that was what I remember correctly, this figures, as they have been together going back to Simpsons,( ten years?) he's an intrinsic part of Glynn Purnells success.

They are also good friends.

Flavour is all , here..

I bet that you are cursing your luck at not being able to get a table on your recent Birmingham visit?

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

K,

His desserts are really on the money

Not complicated, just loads of flavour

They were that good I asked on our last visit who was on pastry?

I'm sure they said Simon ( Szymanski )

If that was what I remember correctly, this figures, as they have been together going back to Simpsons,( ten years?) he's an intrinsic part of Glynn Purnells success.

They are also good friends.

Flavour is all , here..

I bet that you are cursing your luck at not being able to get a table on your recent Birmingham visit?

Yeah... pretty annoyed but I can't blame anyone but myself as I left the booking till quite late. not that it would have made much difference since his restaurant is booked solid 2 months in advance for weekend dinners. I wanted to go for Friday Lunch but J had some experiments she had to do on that day itself. I might try again in July.

Did'n't realise Alan Murchison was one of JBR's disciples.

Good to see L'Ortolan again its been ages since I've been there.

He's got great taste in cars. Flash b'stard.

And he's very Ramsayesque with the pen behind his ear.

Tom Kitchin on the other hand seems really down to earth,and a thoroughly nice bloke.

Everybody likes a nice guy!

Would love to taste both dishes.

Toms dish appeals to me most, though!

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

I think what is happening with the new chefs is that because they have never been on TV or in the competition, they try to go balls out both in their cooking and their demeanour. I know both Purnell's and Kitchin's cookign is simple, and they both are nice blokes, but you can see the calmness in the way they act, as they have both been lots on TV. The "new" chefs try too hard to impress.

Regarding last week, if I were to pay I could have eaten Clifford's menu, but I understand that for the occasion Glynn's was a better choice.

I also think liked Kitchin's starter more, but I agree that it is too heavy for a starter in a summer afternoon... that cheese sarny was weak though... it is going to be a tough call but I see TK winning it

What was that cheese and pickle sandwich all about? Seemed very misguided. Hope he can do better in the next few courses.

I think the concept of 're-inventing' or 'deconstructing' British dishes is running out of ideas. It will reach the stage whereby a proper ploughmans or a simple steak and kidney will be served and everyone will hail it as post ironic cooking wth a hint of irony. :wacko:

What was that cheese and pickle sandwich all about? Seemed very misguided. Hope he can do better in the next few courses.

I think the concept of 're-inventing' or 'deconstructing' British dishes is running out of ideas. It will reach the stage whereby a proper ploughmans or a simple steak and kidney will be served and everyone will hail it as post ironic cooking wth a hint of irony. :wacko:

You could re-invent the reinvention, the classic wirthout a twist

I think the perfect menu for the homecoming banquet for members of the British Forces returning from Afghanistan would be as follows:

Starter – ham, egg and peas

Fish course – whole poached wild salmon and duck egg dressing with wheaten bread and country butter

Main course – rabbit and crayfish stargazy pie

Dessert – perry jelly and summer fruits with elderflower ice cream

I also think that some of the dishes seen on the current GBM (and no doubt to come) would have been better suited for the GBM 2007 at the British Embassy in Paris.