• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

GBM 2009

That dish for me is purely Tom Aikens. Byrne worked under Aikens for a long time and I think you can tell, with the style of his grub and that 'underlying' attitude. Hope Byrne doesn't end up turning into a complete wa.ker!, if you take my drift!  :biggrin:

He's got some work yet to do if he wants to reach the dizzying heights of 2008's official 'wa.ker' chris horridge. Even then, he was painted badly by the producers.

I note that Chris is no longer at Bath Priory (Michael Caines is now exec). I think Chris has gone to Waldo's at Clivden. I always wondered if the two were connected. Another of our local contestants Elisha Carter (Charlton House) has also moved on. Does anyone know were he went?

GBM works for some (Sat, Jason, Glynn etc), but obviously not for all.

Elisha Carter is now the sous chef at Pennyhill park,where Michael Wignal is head chef, Pennyhill Park

That dish for me is purely Tom Aikens. Byrne worked under Aikens for a long time and I think you can tell, with the style of his grub and that 'underlying' attitude. Hope Byrne doesn't end up turning into a complete wa.ker!, if you take my drift!  :biggrin:

He's got some work yet to do if he wants to reach the dizzying heights of 2008's official 'wa.ker' chris horridge. Even then, he was painted badly by the producers.

I note that Chris is no longer at Bath Priory (Michael Caines is now exec). I think Chris has gone to Waldo's at Clivden. I always wondered if the two were connected. Another of our local contestants Elisha Carter (Charlton House) has also moved on. Does anyone know were he went?

GBM works for some (Sat, Jason, Glynn etc), but obviously not for all.

Elisha Carter is now the sous chef at Pennyhill park,where Michael Wignal is head chef, Pennyhill Park

That explains why my meal there, in recent weeks, was fantastic.

Spoke to Michael afterwards, never thought to ask who his sous was.

Top, top quality, highly recommended.

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

We are dahn sahf tomorrow.

Mark Sargent v Tristan Welch, looking on is Jason Atherton.

I know a few people are looking forward to this one.

Its eggy time

Egg and Soldiers, broccoli puree, goats cream cheese.

Asparagus, egg and cress sandwich, and cured smoked ham.

Egg-tastic :biggrin:

@d_goodfellow1

Its eggy time

They all have a strong Ramsay connection; it will interesting to see the differences and simlarities..

Its eggy time

They all have a strong Ramsay connection; it will interesting to see the differences and simlarities..

Not had a Sargent meal, sorry to say.

Was not impressed with the Launceston Place one (Welch).

Still its wrong of me to judge on one visit :unsure:

@d_goodfellow1

Its eggy time

Hardly exciting yet again... how many more renditions of spargus and egg are we going to get?? Seems like Andy Hayler tried Welch's rendition but was none too impressed...

There's news going around that Mark Sargeant has left his position of head chef at Claridges.

Anybody got anything?

Food did not get me going too much, Tristan, it seemed, had not really thought his out, service wise.

Certainly a bit of an ego thing going on in that kitchen.

@d_goodfellow1

I hope Sargeant was role playing last night. If not, he came across as a bit of a pr*ck!

The ubiquitous Ferrari shot sank it for me. It seems the Ramsay stable does breed a very insecure strain of chefs, a reflection on the man himself? Or is it a London thing? ( As an exiled Londoner living in the NW for the last twenty odd years I hate having to work down there dealing with attitude ) :angry:

Edited by Infrasonic (log)

Another lacklustre round, this week is turning out to be a disapointment. My wife did say today "the only one think I really remember is that curried fish dish the Brummie did" sort sums it all up (although I was making a salmon curry at the time so it may have been a subliminal signal).

I think this all "taste of home" and "cook for the soldiers" theme has crippled chefs a little... I don't think it is very clear what they are asked to do, hence we see some weird dishes... The previous years were much more defined, each chef simply cooked the best dish he could come up with, with many dishes ending up on restaurant's menus, and others now being classics (like the BLT starter, the custard tart and the cockles and oxtail turbot).

not many memorable dishes this year...

I think this all "taste of home" and "cook for the soldiers" theme has crippled chefs a little... I don't think it is very clear what they are asked to do, hence we see some weird dishes... The previous years were much more defined, each chef simply cooked the best dish he could come up with, with many dishes ending up on restaurant's menus, and others now being classics (like the BLT starter, the custard tart and the cockles and oxtail turbot).

It think its the complete opposite. In previous years, most chefs simply cherry picks their best 4 dishes on their restaurant's menu to showcase on GBM. If it wins and goes through, they have a cash cow on their hand. The BLT starter is a great example of this - it was on Jason's menu long before it was featured on the GBM.

The fact that they changed the theme of this years show made it more than an inconvenience for the chefs, especially those cooking haute cuisine, while benefitting those who's style is more simplistic and rustic. Chefs in the former category could either design dishes from scratch or completely ignore the theme and just demonstrate their best 4 dishes for free publicity (e.g. Clifford, Bryne... and I suspect Welch). Designing a dish from scratch in itself tricky, because many great dishes are what they are through small evolutions from the original.

There's something in that. Seeing amazing chefs create dishes that are misconceived, ill thought out or just plain odd is interesting in itself. They don't get it right first, second or even third time round.

It's also been interesting to see how unwilling most are to listen to advice from the returning chef...

It think its the complete opposite. In previous years, most chefs simply cherry picks their best 4 dishes on their restaurant's menu to showcase on GBM. If it wins and goes through, they have a cash cow on their hand. The BLT starter is a great example of this - it was on Jason's menu long before it was featured on the GBM.

The fact that they changed the theme of this years show made it more than an inconvenience for the chefs, especially those cooking haute cuisine, while benefitting those who's style is more simplistic and rustic. Chefs in the former category could either design dishes from scratch or completely ignore the theme and just demonstrate their best 4 dishes for free publicity (e.g. Clifford, Bryne... and I suspect Welch). Designing a dish from scratch in itself tricky, because many great dishes are what they are through small evolutions from the original.

I agree with the idea, it is good to shift them out of their comfort zones and see creativity. But, I fear the brief is far too loose; it is almost contradictory: a taste of home but also celebratory. The result is a strange compromise, dishes which don't quite work.

I am all for getting them away from promotional cooking, I just wish the target wasn't so ambiguous.

Better dishes today, but nothing to make me want to spend money. I have enjoyed Mark's food, he hit the spot with a perfect lunch for a family lunch including my aged dad, but I am afraid the editing (I assume) isn't doing him any favours...!

I think the lamb dish needed a bit more variety in the veg section, but I think had I seen both dishes in the menu I would have gone for the lamb.

Mark does come up like a douche though... I saw yesterday's episode, where he was driving his Ferrari and he said that when he was a kid he said to himself that when he will have a Ferrari before he turned 35.... wtf is that about...?

I think the lamb dish needed a bit more variety in the veg section, but I think had I seen both dishes in the menu I would have gone for the lamb.

Mark does come up like a douche though... I saw yesterday's episode, where he was driving his Ferrari and he said that when he was a kid he said to himself that when he will have a Ferrari before he turned 35.... wtf is that about...?

ummm ambition?

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man