• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

GBM 2009

I'm surprised you have not been John, its just down the road from you?

It's there on the list, David. Unfortunately, so are so many other places in the area - when we started eating out regularly at the beginning of last year, we said we'd work our way through the Good Food Guide listed places within an hours drive before we widened the net. That's 2008 edition listed places - we doing them pretty much alphabetically (you can perhaps tell I was a clerk before I retired) and are up to "M" at present. Roughly one every couple of weeks. Mumtaz in Bradford is next up!

John Hartley

Aiden Byrne needs to stop worring about being the next big thing. I didn't realise what an opinion he seems to have of himself. Aiden Byrne this, Aiden Byrne that. I thought the soup was lazy. Would be better suited as an amuse.

I do like Haworths attitude, a real pro. Given the choice, Northcote would be my preference out of the two.

no matter how talented, when people start talking about themselves in the third person it's a worrying sign. gary marshall is very worried about this trend.

you don't win friends with salad

. Mumtaz in Bradford is next up!

hope you enjoy, haven't been for a while, tried the new leeds branch the other week and it wasn't as good as i rememered bradford being - if you get my drift!

think rivals like akbars have narrowed the gap nowadays.

It's there on the list, David. Unfortunately, so are so many other places in the area - when we started eating out regularly at the beginning of last year, we said we'd work our way through the Good Food Guide listed places within an hours drive before we widened the net. That's 2008 edition listed places - we doing them pretty much alphabetically (you can perhaps tell I was a clerk before I retired) and are up to "M" at present. Roughly one every couple of weeks. Mumtaz in Bradford is next up!

I really wouldn't bother with the Church Green. Been a couple of times - once pre recent TV exposure and again since (to give it the benefit of the doubt). Both times faced confused plates of food which were overpriced. The attitude of the place is that 'you should be grateful we have provided you with this world class eaterie round here - and even luckier that you got a table'.

Below average I'm afraid.

Always hungry.

I really wouldn't bother with the Church Green. Been a couple of times - once pre recent TV exposure and again since (to give it the benefit of the doubt). Both times faced confused plates of food which were overpriced. The attitude of the place is that 'you should be grateful we have provided you with this world class eaterie round here - and even luckier that you got a table'.

shouldn't that be 'you should be grateful that aiden byrne has provided you with this world class eaterie round here' :laugh:

Aiden Byrne's asparagus mayo and mousse affair is about the ugliest dish i've ever seen. I'm not averse to tinkering with asparagus but I have to wonder what world Byrne and Wareing live in if they think 'the troops' really want to eat fayn-dayning mousses like that. I haven't eaten AB's food but from what i hear it's absolutely incredible. I don't doubt that, but I still wonder whether a chilled veg mousse - however amazing - is really what anyone right-thinking could want to put in their mush.

that pour piece of fish covered with something that looked like coming from a sick pigeon was one of the worse looking dishes I have seen... what are these people thinking off??? The crab dish on the other hand, although it looked quite simple, I am pretty sure that tasted great.

His dish looks the dogs goolies, however cold soup?

As it happens, I had an excellent cold bean soup (no goat's cheese) in Marcus Wareing about 6 weeks ago (that lunch time menu is fantastic value). It really did taste of summer, but I agree, not one for the troops.

I think Marcus is looking very comfortable in his role. There seems to be a good chemistry between the 3 chefs also, which makes for good viewing.

His dish looks the dogs goolies, however cold soup?

As it happens, I had an excellent cold bean soup (no goat's cheese) in Marcus Wareing about 6 weeks ago (that lunch time menu is fantastic value). It really did taste of summer, but I agree, not one for the troops.

I think Marcus is looking very comfortable in his role. There seems to be a good chemistry between the 3 chefs also, which makes for good viewing.

I like the banter, they seem to be on Nigels case a bit, but he gives as good as he gets

Its tough being a chef, everyone(including me) with their own opinions, some of it must sting a bit, still they are over 21 and in a tough business, to some its perhaps water off a ducks back.

Hope its good tonight :smile:

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

That dish for me is purely Tom Aikens. Byrne worked under Aikens for a long time and I think you can tell, with the style of his grub and that 'underlying' attitude. Hope Byrne doesn't end up turning into a complete wa.ker!, if you take my drift! :biggrin:

Edited by food1 (log)

That dish for me is purely Tom Aikens. Byrne worked under Aikens for a long time and I think you can tell, with the style of his grub and that 'underlying' attitude. Hope Byrne doesn't end up turning into a complete wa.ker!, if you take my drift!  :biggrin:

He's got some work yet to do if he wants to reach the dizzying heights of 2008's official 'wa.ker' chris horridge. Even then, he was painted badly by the producers.

That dish for me is purely Tom Aikens. Byrne worked under Aikens for a long time and I think you can tell, with the style of his grub and that 'underlying' attitude. Hope Byrne doesn't end up turning into a complete wa.ker!, if you take my drift!  :biggrin:

He's got some work yet to do if he wants to reach the dizzying heights of 2008's official 'wa.ker' chris horridge. Even then, he was painted badly by the producers.

I note that Chris is no longer at Bath Priory (Michael Caines is now exec). I think Chris has gone to Waldo's at Clivden. I always wondered if the two were connected. Another of our local contestants Elisha Carter (Charlton House) has also moved on. Does anyone know were he went?

GBM works for some (Sat, Jason, Glynn etc), but obviously not for all.

I have to say that I am finding Nigel really impressive. He seems to have an authentic style based on a real understanding of British food and produce - one which predates its current trendiness! The bit that really resonated with me was his insistence on keeping only the required flavour elements on the plate - a contrast from Aiden's GBM style it seemed.

I think this is the best matchup by far.

I have to say that I am finding Nigel really impressive. He seems to have an authentic style based on a real understanding of British food and produce - one which predates its current trendiness! The bit that really resonated with me was his insistence on keeping only the required flavour elements on the plate - a contrast from Aiden's GBM  style it seemed.

I think this is the best matchup by far.

Agreed, i m sure the judges will still say they just cant believe whos menu is whos!!!!

Unless Aidan pulls something out of the bag tomorrow with the dessert

He didn't, IMO.

That said, I thought it looked the nicer plate but Nigel's ice cream cone was a great wacky finish to a menu that started with scratchings.

Don't see either of their main courses making it through to the banquet.

John Hartley

Unless Aidan pulls something out of the bag tomorrow with the dessert

He didn't, IMO.

That said, I thought it looked the nicer plate but Nigel's ice cream cone was a great wacky finish to a menu that started with scratchings.

Don't see either of their main courses making it through to the banquet.

Quite agree - unless the judges find something that Marcus didn't I think tonight is a foregone conclusion - but I guess we'll see!

I am really surprised with Nigel. It seems that his food is full on flavour, maintaining a high culinary standard though. He whipped Flynn last year, he should whip Byrne this year, he seems to be able to adapt to whatever dinning situation you throw to him. Never was in my primary dinning destinations, but I guess this should change...

I am really surprised with Nigel. It seems that his food is full on flavour, maintaining a high culinary standard though. He whipped Flynn last year, he should whip Byrne this year, he seems to be able to adapt to whatever dinning situation you throw to him. Never was in my primary dinning destinations, but I guess this should change...

But does Nigel actually cook anymore? I thought another post said he didn't. From what I saw of the restaurant on TV I suspect they are set up for the clientele he targets and are not really a good showcase/reflection of his true cooking talent, more a reflection of his business acumen.

But does Nigel actually cook anymore? I thought another post said he didn't. From what I saw of the restaurant on TV I suspect they are set up for the clientele he targets and are not really a good showcase/reflection of his true cooking talent, more a reflection of his business acumen.

I'm pretty sure Nigel no longer cooks, Lisa Allen very ably mans (so to speak) the stoves. :smile:

@d_goodfellow1

Blackburn 3 Liverpool 1

I was right about the soup :smile: Just wrong about the cold.

Twenty five years at the top speaks volumes, Nigel clearly knows what the judges are looking for.

Aiden admitted to me months ago that he wished (like most chefs) that he had done more work on pastry

Not bad viewing, enjoyed the banter, looks like they had a lorra, lorra, laughs in the kitchen.

Anybody know anything about the sous chefs?

@d_goodfellow1