• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

GBM 2009

I am quite intrigued by this week. Stephen seems quite analytical and has the confidence to keep improving the dishes, so I expect to see some interesting changes when he cooks on Friday. James on the other hand seems to be comfortable with what he is doing although his fish dish seems to be way off the brief (although similar to a standard dish he as on his menu).

Does anyone else dislike being served food on slate tiles rather than a plate?

I also agree with Judy about James' character. He does seem a bit up himself; I really didn't like his comment about Stephen's restaurant being "...a little bit slapdash".

Slate tiles are at every restaurant of late, I can only reason that they are popular .

in that, in the chefs eyes they display their food to maximum effect.

It won't be long surely before this fad takes a back seat.

Edited by david goodfellow (log)

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

I am quite intrigued by this week. Stephen seems quite analytical and has the confidence to keep improving the dishes, so I expect to see some interesting changes when he cooks on Friday. James on the other hand seems to be comfortable with what he is doing although his fish dish seems to be way off the brief (although similar to a standard dish he as on his menu).

I also agree with Judy about James' character. He does seem a bit up himself; I really didn't like his comment about Stephen's restaurant being "...a little bit slapdash".

Slate tiles are at every restaurant of late, I can only reason that they are popular .

I'm not sure that it's a fad,every restaurant i've worked in has used slates (the past 8 years ) I don't think we should under estimate Stephen Terry he's a seasoned pro !!!!

Never trust a skinny Chef

I'm not sure that it's a fad,every restaurant i've worked in has used slates (the past 8 years ) I don't think we should under estimate Stephen Terry he's a seasoned pro !!!!

I don't for one minute think anyone under estimates Stephens talent, I for one have watched him from afar so to speak, from his early Marco, chef de partie days at Harveys,eating his food at Canteen on to Coast etc, etc.

Think I heard he has worked at no less than thirteen Michelin starred places, including two of his own, plenty of Crufts winners would fight for that sort of pedigree :laugh:

He stumbled a bit last year,early on, but of course won through in the end

If he were in my locale we would be part of the fixtures and fittings, mainly because we luurrv big flavours and big portions.

All will be revealed very soon :wink:

@d_goodfellow1

I've seen Nigel Howarth's four courses for this competition and they look pretty good to me!

I must admit that I like the look of them myself, be interesting how they translate to the plate and of course how they taste

Not sure but don't think Nigel has done much in the kitchen in recent years?

Lisa Allen has her name on the pots and pans.

Will this make a difference?

Aiden on the other hand is at the sharp end every night.

I have to declare, being a fan of Aidens although we have not eaten there for quite a few months, in fact on our last visit it was back in February when the Michelin guide was leaked on Egullet.

I remember him being shocked at some of the results, especially Tom Aikens not winning another star, and Ducasse on a rising two.

Marc from Fraiche, who Aiden knows from years back, popped in a few days before to say hello, and I think being slightly out of touch with the North West dining scene Aiden was quite surprised that he was "cutting the mustard" up in Oxton not far from his own birthplace.

I'm looking forward to this one very much, two different characters, with their own styles, and with the sometimes abrasive input from Marcus Wareing it should be very good viewing!

@d_goodfellow1

Its all very quiet with regards to the GBM, can I read into that?

1, No one is enamoured with the food? or,

2, There's no real vitality in the kitchen?

3, Or?

OK, who's the winner?

My moneys on Stephen. :wink:

Hope you didn't place a bet :)

I was quite surprised with friday's program - the judges were a lot more enthusiastic about the food than I thought they would be. Roll on next week!

3, Or?

OK, who's the winner?

I was quite surprised with friday's program - the judges were a lot more enthusiastic about the food than I thought they would be. Roll on next week!

I like Leith's cookery bible series (but did they come out after she sold the Cookery School?), but Pru is rapidly following Delia into a historical food cul-de-sac. Interesting to look back on but no longer relevant. She reminds me of an elderly relation who once loved good food but now has very conservative tastes, and who turns their nose up at anything unusual.

That said, I don't think Stephen did enough on the day and James's food was better. However, it was one of the weaker rounds.

3, Or?

OK, who's the winner?

I like Leith's cookery bible series (but did they come out after she sold the Cookery School?), but Pru is rapidly following Delia into a historical food cul-de-sac. Interesting to look back on but no longer relevant. She reminds me of an elderly relation who once loved good food but now has very conservative tastes, and who turns their nose up at anything unusual.

That said, I don't think Stephen did enough on the day and James's food was better. However, it was one of the weaker rounds.

I think she has been chosen, and strategically placed between Peyton and Fort to stop them coming to blows, such are their contrasting opinions.

It has been mooted on another forum that a chef should be on the panel, can't quite make my mind up on that one?

@d_goodfellow1

To be fair they are good judges. The problem with nearly all chefs is their preoccupation with technique and current culinary fashion which explains the alarming uniformity of current ambitious cooking.

Edited by muichoi (log)

To be fair they are good judges. The problem with nearly all chefs is their preoccupation with technique and current culinary fashion which explains the alarming uniformity of current ambitious cooking.

I used to think that; however I am now starting to think they represent a very conservative, middle England view, with Peyton thrown in to add a little frission and colour. It would be good to see a judge with a slightly "younger" perspective (sorry couldn't think of a term that wasn't ageist). I assume Peyton is meant to play his role but why does it need to be so quirky? I know, good TV!

I had been also thinking that a chef would add value to the panel. Maybe an opportunity for Ramsay to show a serious side and avoid the slide into a "tabloid" career? Although a really good bet would be Michel Roux Jr. he really shone on Masterchef.

I used to think that; however I am now starting to think they represent a very conservative, middle England view, with Peyton thrown in to add a little frission and colour. It would be good to see a judge with a slightly "younger" perspective (sorry couldn't think of a term that wasn't ageist). I assume Peyton is meant to play his role but why does it need to be so quirky? I know, good TV!

I had been also thinking that a chef would add value to the panel. Maybe an opportunity for Ramsay to show a serious side and avoid the slide into a "tabloid" career? Although a really good bet would be Michel Roux Jr. he really shone on Masterchef.

I doubt Ramsay would do it, he only really does primetime TV now. And 6.30 on a weekday isn't what I'd call primetime.

I would like to see someone like Raymond Blanc do it, I think he's a good balance. He does modern cuisine but it's not pretentious.

Edited by ElisG (log)

Michel Roux Jr would be top of my list also, not an overpowering personality, but commands huge respect throughout the industry.

Another factor of course is the time involved in judging, most hands on chefs would be very reluctant to leave the stoves

Looks like Gordons well in with a shout :laugh:

We are of course presuming that there will be a further series?

Hope so :smile:

@d_goodfellow1

T'would be much better with Jay Rayner instead of Matthew Fort, I reckon.

Michel Roux Jr might be a bit too wedded to the idea of "correct" French cooking to judge some of the more left-field attempts which make this show interesting.

I'd like to see Fergus Henderson judge. Not just for his quirky style- you know for sure he knows what tastes good and what doesn't.

Michel Roux Jr might be a bit too wedded to the idea of "correct" French cooking to judge some of the more left-field attempts which make this show interesting.

I'd like to see Fergus Henderson judge. Not just for his quirky style- you know for sure he knows what tastes good and what doesn't.

Funny that, I got about halfway down this page and started thinking 'Fergus would be perfect for this!' and there you go, beat me to it. He would not only bring a few of the pretentious plates down to earth but would give the judges panel what it needs - a British chef cooking British food.

Funny that, I got about halfway down this page and started thinking 'Fergus would be perfect for this!' and there you go, beat me to it. He would not only bring a few of the pretentious plates down to earth but would give the judges panel what it needs - a British chef cooking British food.

He's a real character, and mighty funny with it, but as I mentioned above these guys (mostly) want to be in the kitchen away from prying eyes, doing what they do best

I do totally agree though, his dry as a bone humour would knock most people over.

Fingers crossed this weeks show is a memorable one.

@d_goodfellow1

I don't normally watch, except on Fridays, but seeing it's my own region thought I better have a nosy (not least because Mrs H has announced we're going to Northcote for the anniversary dinner in August).

I'd be happy to eat either starter, although I'm with Marcus' view that the cold bean soup probably isnt right for the occasion.

And I did rather chuckle at Nigel's observation about signed copies of the book being available for purchase at the Church Green.

J

John Hartley

I don't normally watch, except on Fridays, but seeing it's my own region thought I better have a nosy (not least because Mrs H has announced we're going to Northcote for the anniversary dinner in August).

I'd be happy to eat either starter, although I'm with Marcus' view that the cold bean soup probably isnt right for the occasion.

And I did rather chuckle at Nigel's observation about signed copies of the book being available for purchase at the Church Green.

J

The Aiden Byrne brand has, as you know, had a bit of a knock recently, but thats the British way sadly.

Success is not championed, people want to knock you down.

I do have his book, unsigned, my wife bought it for me as a surprise present, Aiden has promised to sign it.

His dish looks the dogs goolies, however cold soup?

He did tell me his main dish was my favourite Sea Trout, however this did not materialise.

Nigel's dish could easily catch the judges imagination, and this may be smart judgement, from Nigels previous success in the competition.

I do prefer the look of his menu,(sorry Aiden :shock:)

I'm surprised you have not been John, its just down the road from you?

@d_goodfellow1

Aiden Byrne needs to stop worring about being the next big thing. I didn't realise what an opinion he seems to have of himself. Aiden Byrne this, Aiden Byrne that. I thought the soup was lazy. Would be better suited as an amuse.

I do like Haworths attitude, a real pro. Given the choice, Northcote would be my preference out of the two.

Edited by food1 (log)