• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

GBM 2009

I only got it last week so it is still in the browsing rather than cooking phase at the moment. Managed to get it for £25 so quite pleased! It's a very interesting and well presented book. It has a similar feel to Essence, which is by a very long way my favourite restaurant cook book. And I have cooked a good number of the dishes from that, so I can't see why I won't from Food for Thought.

I was impressed by La Becasse, and very pleased when it gained it's star this year. It doesn't seem to get any publicity and Will has some serious talent. I've met him a few times and he's a lovely bloke who is passionate about what he does.

Adam

I only got it last week so it is still in the browsing rather than cooking phase at the moment. Managed to get it for £25 so quite pleased! It's a very interesting and well presented book. It has a similar feel to Essence, which is by a very long way my favourite restaurant cook book. And I have cooked a good number of the dishes from that, so I can't see why I won't from Food for Thought.

I was impressed by La Becasse, and very pleased when it gained it's star this year. It doesn't seem to get any publicity and Will has some serious talent. I've met him a few times and he's a lovely bloke who is passionate about what he does.

Adam

That is a good price.

I think the cheapest amazon do it, is forty something plus delivery.

I am fortunate my local library have a fantastic selection of cookbooks including David Everitt- Matthias, Essence,which I too have cooked from

It is very user friendly isn't it!

My current favorite is Ripailles by Stephane Reynaud,as handsome a book on traditional french cusine you could wish to read.

Its four hundred and eighty pages are full of culinary delight.

Well I think enough about books there is another thread on the forum we best go on that if we want to discuss furthar.

I may just visit La Becasse even though its quite a treck.

Will keep everyone posted.

"So many places, so little time"

http://londoncalling...blogspot.co.uk/

@d_goodfellow1

Just an update to whet your appetite,for the screening which starts on 30 March.

As you are no doubt well aware Daniel Clifford of Midsummer House is up against Glyn Purnell(Purnells)

Well I took the opportunity to dine at Midsummer this weekend.

I was able to do this by putting off one of my dining exploits in London on Saturday by heading out east ,then on to London for an overnight stay,then on to Locatelli on Sunday.

I will post my review on the Midsummer link save it getting overlooked.

Not a lot to report really,other than all of the filming has been done.

Obviously a winner has been chosen,but even if I knew who it was, I would not spoil it for anyone by disclosing it.

I was curious as to how both cooking styles would compare,as I had a very good meal at Purnell's in January,and a previous one,not long after they opened.

Will try to post it today if I get the time.

@d_goodfellow1

• 3 weeks later...

Just received THREE texts from Midsummer House to remind me to watch Great British Menu on Monday.

Phoned them out of interest, and was told Daniel Clifford was on all week, and his dishes on the show would be put on the menu in May.

Can't wait!

@d_goodfellow1

Apologies to the Mancunians out there(Thom,Bapi,etc) for posting this here,but because GBM starts on Monday, I thought it was appropriate, here,rather than on the Manchester City Centre thread.

Abode, Manchester,one of two starred Michelin man Michael Caines restaurants is currently serving some of the best value food in the country.

Ian Matfin, head chef is competing in next weeks challenge so I though I would give it a whirl.

Well, the restaurant isn't on our doorstep so we decided to go for lunch and dinner so we could get a better idea of what was on offer.

Twelve English Pounds buys the three course lunch, and for a further £6 or £9 you can have two or three matching wines

Now by any stretch of the imagination this is stunning value!

Especially when you consider just how much money they have chucked at this place.

I have to point out that the portions are "grazing size" but certainly substantial enough to take us through to the early dinner slot.

The early dinner deal (between 6 n 7) is £14.95 for 2 courses, £19.95 for 3.

Again,excellent value for the quality.

The portion size is normal a la carte, so no bag of chips on the way home.

Pan fried Red Mullet, ratatouille, parmesan tuile.

Breast of wood pigeon,rhubarb puree', mixed cress.

Braised Guinea fowl,"Coq au Vin".pomme puree',mushrooms,lardons.

Roast Hake,watercress puree', salsify, and chicken jus

Home made arctic roll, compote of local rhubarb

Ginger and lime souffle',lime confit sorbet.

As the menu is the same for both meals we were able to try plated portions of what we both liked, there is a choice of 3 dishes on each course.

We both really enjoyed the Red mullet, a true classic, close your eyes and your in the South of France,

Oh deep joy!!!

The wood pigeon was good, but we felt the rhubarb somewhat overpowered it.

The Guinea Fowl was classic Michelin, just superb,wonderful jus, although there was less of it in the evening dish, I seem to remember, it was mostly replaced with a foam of sorts.

The leg was serve at lunch, with the breast making the evening slot.

The Hake was a very satisfying dish, again very moreish and wonderful jus.

Ginger souffle' was classic again, and perfectly acceptable.

Arctic roll was fine, if a little bit uninspired

But hey come on this is peanuts money.

I nearly forgot the bread which was superb at lunch, but didn't quite have the same zing at dinner.

Of particular note was the red pepper and olive, I could, and nearly did over face myself with it.

Michael Caines has made no secret that he expects a Michelin star here,when the awards come round again, and given that Ian Matfin did nearly all of the cooking for some number of years at Gidleigh Park, Caines flagship two star Devon restaurant,

who can argue?

Now I know that we ate off the super value lunch and dinner menus, but some of these dishes are on the carte.

That said Matfin's food is as good as any Michelin starred restaurant that we have eaten at this year and is Michelin through and through

So there you have it Manchester, your return to stardom is fast approaching!!!!!!!

@d_goodfellow1

As a bit of a post script to the above, a certain Mr Jay Rayner dined at the very same establishment not many days prior to our visit.

Interesting to see, what he makes of it!

I for one appreciate the fact that,out of town,(up norf) restaurants are getting reviewed

Thank you Jay!

Edited by david goodfellow (log)

@d_goodfellow1

Well, the restaurant isn't on our doorstep so we decided to go for lunch and dinner so we could get a better idea of what was on offer.

Bloody hell David, you are commited to the cause. :biggrin:

Glad you enjoyed it I am back there in a couple of weeks and the review will be in tomorrows Observer.

Bloody hell David, you are commited to the cause. :biggrin:

Glad you enjoyed it I am back there in a couple of weeks and the review will be in tomorrows Observer.

Hurray for Manchester, and its proud citizens.

Mr Caines and Mr Matfin are Stars**, *

I could commit every day at £12 if it were in my back yard!

Mr Rayner is mightily impressed.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/200...nes-abode-hotel

@d_goodfellow1

This coming weeks Central contestants, are Glynn Purnell and Daniel Clifford

One and two Michelin stars respectfully.

Monday - starters

Tuesday -fish

Wednesday - mains

Thursday - dessert

Friday - Results day-who goes through to the final?

@d_goodfellow1

Is it me or did I see Clare Smyth amongst the chefs who are taking part? Maybe Mark Sargeant is on as a previous winner (can't remember - was he?).

Don't remember Mark Sargeant on last years show.

He's up against Tristan Welch for the South East.

Think he was that busy being GR's right hand man.

Be really interesting what Clare produces.

Should be top, top, quality.

Can't wait!

@d_goodfellow1

Can I just say that  it was me with those eggs in the smokery. Oh and I know who wins this week. But I'm not telling.

No, please don't.

I have my own ideas having dined at both restaurants in recent weeks

Not that anyone has spilled the beans,of course.

You can do us all a favour by letting us know how to buy that wonderful duck.

If its good enough for Mr Clifford, it can grace my table any day of the week!

@d_goodfellow1

You may well be right. They may have ditched the carte altogether. Im going on a visit last June, when there was a small carte and tasting menu. Hope you enjoy your visit. Go well monied up!!!! :biggrin:

Ok Guys Just a few clarifications for you all on Sat Bain's Restaurant pricing structure.

He did offer a Dinner menu for 3 and a half years at 55 pounds for 3 courses with 2 choices on each course, plus a Tasting menu of 7 courses at 65 pounds, plus a surprise menu at 85 pounds which consisted of around 10 courses.

He also offered a Bespoke menu at 150 pounds for anything up to 20 courses. Again this was for those guests that really want a tailored menu, this again is chosen by a very few.

Looking at the structure today.

By the research done the sales of the Dinner menu for the whole Year was 8%

hence them hitting it on the head. Also they then introduced the 3 Tasting menus this January 2009.

Offering the 5 course Tasting Tuesday to Thursday only as again this only makes up at present 5% of sales.

The Pricing structure has increased on the 7 course menu only in the last 3 and a half Years from 65 pounds to 69 pound, all of 4 pounds increase in nearly 4 years.

So all in all the structure is really just re-jigged with the only price increase on the 7 course of 4 pound in 4 years. I don't think that's all that unreasonable.

The Duck egg dish has a supplement of 15 pounds and is very popular, lets not forget this is a Business and the guest have complete control of saying No if they didn't want the egg.

So just to clarify;

5 course menu - 55 pounds Tuesday - Thursday. Replaced the Dinner menu which was also only available Tuesday - Thursday for the last 18 Months.

7 course menu - 69 pounds an increase of 4 pounds in 4 years.

10 course menu - 85 pounds replaced the surprise menu at the same price.

Bespoke menu - 150 pounds.

So I can't personally see this stratospheric price rise.

I hope this helps.

Daniel's starter looked fantastic and given a choice between it and Glynn's, I would definitely go for the Duck egg+asparagus (looked amazing, saltandwoodsmoke!). But I wonder if the dish really met the brief? I cannot see what nostalgia value it represents for a returning soldier......

You could only have the tasting menu?? Thats NOT on. :angry:  Sat has got no excuse for this. This is pure profiteering. I operate a place that does HALF the covers he does and offer a small carte and tasting menu. There is no way on earth I would be so disrespectful to my customers, that I insist they can only have one menu. A lot these chefs I find, once they have been on the telly, develop a real arrogance and seem to think they can treat their customers how ever they choose. That said alot these customers seem to be cannon fodder, don't seem to mind how they are treated because chefs been on the telly  :wink:

This to me is another case of chef who got that awful condition, celebrityitous!

P.s Did anybody else see 'rise of the superchef'? I was shocked to see Aiden Byrne openly admitting wanting to be the next big t.v thing. Jesus. Somethings gone very wrong along the line.

I don't think this is fair.

Sat has every excuse to with his business as he wishes.

He's just returned from the Melbourne food festival and closed his restaurant for 2 weeks, as he likes to be there when the guests visit him. Sounds like a real 'Celebrity' chef thing to do!!!!!

Sat, who I know well, has refused loads of telly work to concentrate on his day job, running a Restaurant.

He has increased his staffing to 2 Sommeliers, again to offer a greater experience for his guests and has not got rid of any staff in this very difficult financial climate.

Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Daniel's starter looked fantastic and given a choice between it and Glynn's, I would definitely go for the Duck egg+asparagus (looked amazing, saltandwoodsmoke!). But I wonder if the dish really met the brief? I cannot see what nostalgia value it represents for a returning soldier......

brief - schmief, was tony flinn's cooking more modern than nigel hawarths last year? but see who won.

I'd go for shock and awe and forget the brief, the judges don't seem to take heed of it half the time. :biggrin:

thought daniel clifford came across very well, assured, despite a ton of mise to get through.

you don't win friends with salad

Can I just say that  it was me with those eggs in the smokery. Oh and I know who wins this week. But I'm not telling.

You can do us all a favour by letting us know how to buy that wonderful duck.

If its good enough for Mr Clifford, it can grace my table any day of the week!

Sure: River Farm Smokery

BTW, I wrote a rather lengthy review of Midsummer House on my bolg last year. Wasn't registered here then so haven't posted it before. It's here.

Really enjoying what daniel clifford is turning out, modern food but with a firm classical base to it. I'm pretty sure he's a protege of simon gueller so i can see where he gets that from.

I appreciate his perfectionism and it's no suprise on seeing these snapshots that he got his second star.

I thought prior to this the food was a little more experimental at midsummer but if his tv cooking is representative of his menus then it looks like somewhere i should be heading to (once the tv fuss dies down :laugh: ).

you don't win friends with salad

Really enjoying what daniel clifford is turning out, modern food but with a firm classical base to it. I'm pretty sure he's a protege of simon gueller so i can see where he gets that from.

I appreciate his perfectionism and it's no suprise on seeing these snapshots that he got his second star.

I thought prior to this the food was a little more experimental at midsummer but if his tv cooking is representative of his menus then it looks like somewhere i should be heading to (once the tv fuss dies down  :laugh: ).

We ate their four weeks ago, and were very impressed.

I have to admit that I did not see two star level.

But I do now!

The word complex was overused last night, but sums the content of his work to a tee.

It would appear he uses layers of flavors to tease the palate.

I looked at the tasting menu on his website last night, and am really looking forward to giving it a whirl.

Best hurry up though before the stampede!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@d_goodfellow1